Bottom Bracket recommendations

maharg22
maharg22 Posts: 50
edited June 2015 in Workshop
After reading the past few pages of bottom bracket woes I have come to the point that I can safely say mine has or is in the process of going.

For a while now there has been an odd creak but it has over the past few days got dramatically worse.

So now is the time to look for a new BB, and therefore I ask what you would recommend I look at and those you recommend I stay well away from.

The current one is an FSA hollow tech BB, 68mm threaded shell for 24mm axle cranks (BSA threaded)

Also, how easy are they to replace, would a novice like myself manage with the correct tools etc?

Cheers in advance

Tony
British Cycling SkyRide leader

Roadie - 'Arnie' HOY Sa Calobra .004 Ultegra 11 Speed
Winter Road Bike - 'Edoardo' Bianchi Via Nirone 7 c2c - Sora 8 Speed
Commuter - 'Edoardo the 2nd' Bianchi Camaleonte Cross

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you have an FSA chainset I would suggest buying the relevant FSA BB to match. I have heard mixed reports of people using Shimano HT2 BBs with FSA cranks; some say it works and the BB lasts better than the FSA original, others cannot get the spindle through despite the fact it's 24mm for both Shimano and FSA.

What chainset do you have??
  • maharg22
    If you have an FSA chainset I would suggest buying the relevant FSA BB to match. I have heard mixed reports of people using Shimano HT2 BBs with FSA cranks; some say it works and the BB lasts better than the FSA original, others cannot get the spindle through despite the fact it's 24mm for both Shimano and FSA.

What chainset do you have??

Running compact up front with Shimano ultegra 6800 for the rest.

• keef66
    Yes, but compact what? Is it an FSA chainset or something Shimano?
  • maharg22
    Yes, but compact what? Is it an FSA chainset or something Shimano?

FSA Gossamer 175mm

• keef66
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fsa-bb-6000-gossamer-mega-exo-bb/rp-prod30056

This looks like the BB that FSA would want you to fit. It's bloody expensive though, and the reviews are not very encouraging. The second one suggests that if yours is an alloy crankset then a Shimano Hollowtech BB is compatible. And a lot cheaper, and longer lasting.

I have an Ultegra BB on one of my bikes, but only because CRC put them in the sale for £11. The 105 BB it replaced had lasted several years. Just buy whichever HT2 BB you can find the cheapest.

ETA Ribble have the 4600 Tiagra BB for £7.45 and the newer 11 speed 105 / Ultegra level BBR60 for £11.95. For the latter you'd need a smaller diameter BB tool. Or you may get the plastic adapter with the BB so you can use the original size BB tool...
  • maharg22
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fsa-bb-6000-gossamer-mega-exo-bb/rp-prod30056

This looks like the BB that FSA would want you to fit. It's bloody expensive though, and the reviews are not very encouraging. The second one suggests that if yours is an alloy crankset then a Shimano Hollowtech BB is compatible. And a lot cheaper, and longer lasting.

I have an Ultegra BB on one of my bikes, but only because CRC put them in the sale for £11. The 105 BB it replaced had lasted several years. Just buy whichever HT2 BB you can find the cheapest.

ETA Ribble have the 4600 Tiagra BB for £7.45 and the newer 11 speed 105 / Ultegra level BBR60 for £11.95. For the latter you'd need a smaller diameter BB tool. Or you may get the plastic adapter with the BB so you can use the original size BB tool...

Many thanks for the replies, reading the reviews makes it sound like I should.look for a better make of BB and to spend a little but more. Some have said they have gone for Chris King, I shall look at this when I get to a computer. Wonder if Hope.do anything that's compatible?

• keef66
    If the Shimano HT2 BB's are compatible, why pay more than the £12 they cost??
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    Buy the Shimano BB if it will fit with your cranks, no need to go overboard on a CK BB unless you have money to burn. If you don't want to use a Shimano BB, Hope may well do one and spares should be easy to obtain.
  • maharg22
    New BB arrived from CRC today and is now in the hands of a mechanic and will be getting changed over on Monday.

Thanks to all for their advice