Searching for 5 bolt chainrings

Jim Lyon
Jim Lyon Posts: 72
edited June 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
I find myself in need of some new chainrings for my 1997 Marin Mount Vision, which has a 24 speed Race Face crank-set fitted with FIVE mounting bolt spider arms. The P.C.D / B.C.D.* is approximately 90 m.m ( a bit difficult to guesstimate when measuring off 5 bolts )
As might be expected, it's the middle one ( 32T ) that's about to give up the ghost, but the large one is showing signs of wear, & when it needs to be replaced, I'd like to "upgrade" from 42T to 44T. I'd prefer chain -rings in aluminium alloy & silver coloured.
Having looked around, I'm only seeing 4 bolt chainrings in "fashion", so I'd appreciate being pointed in the direction of anybody who still stocks them. As for make/brand, I'm not bothered, as long as they fit & ideally, are value for money.
* I note in CRC's guide to chainrings rather using the correct original engineering term of P.C.D. for Pitch Circle Diameter, they prefer to use B.C.D. for Bolt Circle Diameter. While I can see that it might help newbies who don't have an engineering background, apart from causing even further confusion & even a few arguments , what are they going to do if you use screws instead of bolts - cause even more confusion by creating S.C.D. for Screw Circle Diameter?

Cheers,
Jim

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    MTBs use 4 these days - road five.

You can get new cranks and BB interface for about £15 all in if you look around.

BCD is a standard that's quite standard in a world of changing standard these days, so I'm happy about that.

If you're in London and meet me I can give you one.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    AFAIK Raceface still make 5 bolt rings.

Often NOS stuff on Retrobike as well.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152

If you're in London and meet me I can give you one.

:twisted:
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Race Face don't seem to list any 5 bolt compact drive (94mm bcd) chainrings anymore.

Middleburn still make some. - http://www.middleburn.co.uk/chainrings_cd.php

And so do Specialites TA - http://www.chickencycles.co.uk/index.php?cat=32&ord=2
  • Jim Lyon

<SNIPPED>
    You can get new cranks and BB interface for about £15 all in if you look around.

f you're in London and meet me I can give you one.

Where should I look for cheap cranks & BB interface?
    For better or worse, I live in Sheffield.
  • Jim Lyon

<SNIPPED>

Middleburn still make some. - http://www.middleburn.co.uk/chainrings_cd.php

Thanks, that link does for me. :)
    While I don't think Middleburn are cheap, Campag prices make them almost look like a freebee ! With their 3
    digit prices, I presume the 2nd & 3rd indicate the cost & the first digit is just for the name?
    I'll go for a Middleburn hard coat, but when I know how hard "hard" is ( as in can it be drilled? ), I might think of going for standard rather than "super slick" chain ramps, as I've already worked out that with a 50T chainring I use for a road set up on my Trek "hack bike" ( with suitable sized slicks ), you can make your own ramps. I just drilled 8 holes in the ring @ four evenly spaced places in the ring & used pop rivets so that every two close together acts as a ramp i.e. the chain climbs up two mushroom heads ( with the rivet stem on the outside of the ring ). Works well & if you're already set up with the tools, saves £4 per chainring ! - HTH?
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    may be cheaper to get a new chainset instead of replace the old rings
  • Jim Lyon
    AFTER THOUGHT

As a generalisation I know that I'll use up two rear tyres for every front one. And with chainrings I wear out the middle one first. Does anybody have an idea of how many middle rings are worn out for every large one? Or, alternatively, how many middle & large ones are worn out per "granny" ring? Obviously there are variations according to fitness & riding style, etc.
    And whilst using dirt gearing, how much difference is there likely to be for dirt or road riding? - A "ball park" figure would be a good start.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Far to many variables to say, depends on your local riding, your gear choice, whether you use the bigger ring more in a less abrasive riding environment etc etc.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • timbooth
    timbooth Posts: 160
    I have an old Deore DX chainset (5-arm). Many years ago, I replaced the big chainring (46t) with a black-anodised TA chainring and it is perhaps the most economical cycling component I have ever bought. It was 2.5x more than the Shimano equivalent, but is still in use now - 16 years, c.22,000 miles later and it still looks new. Truly, truly, amazing quality.

I would buy TA, if I were you.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    AFTER THOUGHT

As a generalisation I know that I'll use up two rear tyres for every front one. And with chainrings I wear out the middle one first. Does anybody have an idea of how many middle rings are worn out for every large one? Or, alternatively, how many middle & large ones are worn out per "granny" ring? Obviously there are variations according to fitness & riding style, etc.
    And whilst using dirt gearing, how much difference is there likely to be for dirt or road riding? - A "ball park" figure would be a good start.

i've never needed to replace a granny ring and only occasionally an outer. middle however...