Carrera Zelos SL Carbon

dirkpitt74
dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
edited June 2015 in MTB buying advice
Guys,
Been offered the above full suspension frame locally for a decent price.
Can't find much info on these other than it's basically a carbon version of the Banshee and has around 120mm travel.
Will be frame and rear shock only so I'll buy/build as and when over the winter probably as I won't be able to ride....

Anyone have any info/thoughts?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Carbon HT of the same era was really heavy, only 250g lighter than the alloy frame, given how heavy the Banshee is (and much of the front triangle is similar to the HT's) I can't see it being very light, probably around or over 3Kg.

As for the ride, the Banshee is a quite hard hitting frame but with a rather old fashioned geometry (steep head angle) so it's neither an XC bike nor competes with a modern bike as a trail thrasher, it has it's strengths (assuming that frame has the later rear triangle that fixed the chainstay cracking problem*) though, so it depends on your riding, for Cannock I wouldn't.

*The early bikes had an all tubular chainstay that used to snap on the drive side just by the largest chainwheel teeth, later bikes have a cast section at the front that stops this.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dirkpitt74
    dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
    Cheers Rookie.
    Not sure about the rear stays, but if it's not going to be that light I'll probably pass on it.
    Thanks for the info!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just as an indication, my aluminium alloy FS frame is lighter than my son's Carbon front, magnesium rear (both 100mm XC frames of the mid naughties), material is only one factor in weight on an FS.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.