front wheel issue flexing in reba forks ?

swod1
swod1 Posts: 1,639
edited June 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Has anyone has this problem before as I cant seem to find what is causing the problem with my front wheel.

The problem is I've recently put back on my bike some rockshox rebas that I've had serviced and the disc rotor rubs on the pads when the suspension is active like the wheel is flexing making the rotor rub the pads.

I turn the lockout on and ride on a flat piece of road there is no rubbing on the pads at all.

I've centred the brake caliper and there is no rubbing when I lift the front wheel and spin it, the wheel hub is fine no play in this and the quick release skewer isn't bent.

I've even checked the tyre is centred on the rim.

The old suntour xcm forks I took off the bike, I never had this problem.

What I'm wondering is if the wheel isn't tight enough in the dropouts as how tight are you supposed to have these quick release skewers?

Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Unless its the wheel moving in the dropout, then no, wheel flex (between hub and rim) won't move the disc which is attached to the hub.

The QR lever should leave a white mark on your hand for a few seconds after you do it up, that works fine as long as the can section isn't creating high friction due to it being knackered or full of shite causing more friction - Shimano skewers are the best (well any internal cam, but most are very expensive) apart from the really old style that are subject to a recall!

Two other possibilities
    1/ The calliper is not centred as it was on the XCM's and one piston isn't retracting enough
    2/ The pads are slightly loose in the calliper and 'falling' against the disc (I have this on my commuter).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    Unless its the wheel moving in the dropout, then no, wheel flex (between hub and rim) won't move the disc which is attached to the hub.

The QR lever should leave a white mark on your hand for a few seconds after you do it up, that works fine as long as the can section isn't creating high friction due to it being knackered or full of shite causing more friction - Shimano skewers are the best (well any internal cam, but most are very expensive) apart from the really old style that are subject to a recall!

Two other possibilities
    1/ The calliper is not centred as it was on the XCM's and one piston isn't retracting enough
    2/ The pads are slightly loose in the calliper and 'falling' against the disc (I have this on my commuter).

If the wheel is moving in the dropout how can I check for this?

The front wheel hub is a shimano deore and so I'm using a shimano skewer on the front wheel and I have it done up tight as you have mentioned.

I checked the pads and they aren't loose, brakes are xt m785 with a bolt holding the pads in.

Riding the bike it feels more like something is flexing rather than it being the pads etc and is strange that I don't have the problem when the forks are locked out?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Maybe the forks are actually just working, as they replaced some 'might as well be rigid' rubbish.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    edited June 2015
    and a bit of brake rub pinging now and again is pretty normal. Although my 20mm Reba does it less than my QR setup.
  • The Rookie
    The bolt doesn't hold the pads in place does it (think about it).

Look for marks on the dropouts showing its been moving.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    Maybe the forks are actually just working, as they replaced some 'might as well be rigid' rubbish.
    yes maybe so but the rotor didn't rub the pads the last time I had them on the bike.
    and a bit of brake rub pinging now and again is pretty normal. Although my 20mm Reba does it less than my QR setup.

I cant why that would be normal as its happening when riding and the forks compressing but doesn't do it when the forks are locked out.
    The Rookie wrote:
    The bolt doesn't hold the pads in place does it (think about it).

Look for marks on the dropouts showing its been moving.

I will check the forks and re check over the wheel, I can't see anything else that is loose, rotor is centerlock and is tight.

I was thinking of replacing the skewer but it seems shimano don't sell them separately to hubs?

Are those superstar oversize skewers any good?
  • cooldad
    Shimano do sell skewers seperately, most bike shops will have them, but they are about the best you can get.
    Not sure if the SS ones fit Shimano hubs though. Can't see how the bearings would work.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • swod1
    Shimano do sell skewers seperately, most bike shops will have them, but they are about the best you can get.
    Not sure if the SS ones fit Shimano hubs though. Can't see how the bearings would work.

yes shimano are good, the back wheel uses an xt hub and not had an issue with that.

I've ordered one to try out as I needed some new pads.

The quick release skewers are a bit small in diameter 5mm or so compared with bolt through maxles and is probably where the flex is coming from as the rs forks are much lighter to the suntour forks.
  • cooldad
    The skewer just holds the nuts together. The axle is still 9mm, although hollow.

I don't think the SS 9mm axles will work with a Shimano hub as there is nowhere to screw the cups and cones on. They are for SS hubs.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Certainly won't work, they will only work with cartridge bearing hubs with the right bearing ID
  • swod1
    I changed my order and didn't order one in the end just in case it didn't fit, having a browse I've spotted some A2Z titanium quick release skewers on merlin cycles that I might order or I'll search ebay for a shimano one to replace and see if this solves the problem.
  • cooldad
    Those skewers will be a terrible idea. The reason Shimano are so good is they work with an internal cam.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools