Best cx bike available for approx £1000ish

ricgreen
ricgreen Posts: 103
edited June 2015 in Cyclocross
Hello to all.

I would really appreciate your views on what bike you would buy for around the £1000 mark.

I have posted this on a couple of other sites and 3 bikes that I like so far are

Cannondale CAADX 105 cyclocross

Focus Mares 3.0

Boardman team cx 2015

Please advise on the above bikes, and feel free to add to these if you believe theres better on the market

Comments

• ricgreen
    No luck yet with any replies, and yes I suppose your all probably bored with these sort of same old questions.

But I genuinely really do need all your help and advice (I am really serious on this subject)

Thanks
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    this part of the forum tends to go a bit quiet, once the racing season is over.

so are you racing? or bridleways or roads, ie what do you expect to do with the bike?

The Boardmans do have a good reputation. I've not ridden any of the three bikes.

I'd suggest if not having a test ride at least have a look at them?
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    The other thing is that after a while, people start to get bored answering the same question. Reading down the first page of this section of the forum, I can see at least 4 threads (with responses) asking basically the same thing.

OP - suggest reading through all the different "buying advice" threads from the last few months, and then come back with more specific questions. You're not going to find anyone who has ridden all the bikes in your shortlist, but you will find feedback from people who own (or have decided against owning) a lot of different bikes in that price bracket, probably including the ones you listed.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Mombee
    Mombee Posts: 170
    THey're right, it's the proverbial question… I'd throw it back on you though and ask you to consider what you want the bike to do, as cyclocross bikes are now evolving in many cases to be more commuter-friendly…
    I'm running a Cannondale CAADX Disc and a Kinesis Crosslight, bith cyclocross bikes, but with very different characters…
    http://mombee.com/gear-reviews-clothing-bikes/bikes/cannondale-caadx-kinesis-crosslight/
    http://www.mombee.com ... more than just bikes.
    Cannondale CAADX Disc
  • ricgreen
    THey're right, it's the proverbial question… I'd throw it back on you though and ask you to consider what you want the bike to do, as cyclocross bikes are now evolving in many cases to be more commuter-friendly…
    I'm running a Cannondale CAADX Disc and a Kinesis Crosslight, bith cyclocross bikes, but with very different characters…
    http://mombee.com/gear-reviews-clothing-bikes/bikes/cannondale-caadx-kinesis-crosslight/

Thanks for the replies, I have just this afternoon been to test ride the Cannondale CDDX at a bike shop in Leamington spa, it was the Sora model rather than the 105,
    I was very Impressed with the bike, having never ridden a bike with dropped bars I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE DIFFICULT TO ADJUST FROM STRAIGHT BARS, to dropped, however it was really impressive and I enjoyed it,

Im now looking to go and try the others out, people keep telling me to go test ride a Trek & a Giant as well, but i dont seem to be able to find a model thats up there for £1000ish budget.

Is there one ?

Thanks
  • ricgreen
    this part of the forum tends to go a bit quiet, once the racing season is over.

so are you racing? or bridleways or roads, ie what do you expect to do with the bike?

The Boardmans do have a good reputation. I've not ridden any of the three bikes.

I'd suggest if not having a test ride at least have a look at them?

Hi There

No i am not racing at present, its going to be used for some road charity events/bridleways, woodland paths etc etc.

Ive just been and had a test ride on a cannondale CDDX SORA in leamington spa
    I was very Impressed, I need to go and try some others before making a decision, thats why I am open to advice and suggestions.

Thanks
  • drewesq
    drewesq Posts: 137
    I'm impressed you can get the CAAD X with 105 now for £1k. I bought mine last summer and it has Tiagra, which I'm not convinced about. The frame however is great, VERY forgiving, the SAVE technology really soaks up rear bumps and I don't seem to get tired wrists like I used to on my old road bike :)
    Cannondale CAADX Disc 2014 Tiagra - Blue
    Charge Plug 0
    Voodoo Bizango 2015
    Ridgeback World Tour (mainly for commuting and holidays)
    :mrgreen:
  • LuckyS50
    LuckyS50 Posts: 6
    I did a lot of research recently on this as I was in the same position. I nearly bought a Cannondale caadx 105 and had Evans cycles not taken so long to get one in, that's probably what i'd have bought. However, a friend who owns a bike shop recommended a Merida cyclocross 500. It's superb! It out specs the Cannondale and is so nice to ride. I came from a Scott road bike so am used to light and agile. This doesn't disappoint. It's planted, light and the additional brake levers (standard) on the top of the bars are great. It has a more upright riding position than a road bike and the gearing in my opinion is perfect. 105 groupset, disc brakes, full carbon fork, and internal cabling. Give it a try.
  • Tiglath
    Tiglath Posts: 83
    Adding my endorsement for the Cannondale CAADX. Mine came with 105s, I changed the knobby 35 tires for Conti 28s and it runs great. The CAADX must have great engineering because it doesn't feel like a typical alu bike, more like steel. You won't regret it if you get one.