SRAM powerlinks

Joeblack
Joeblack Posts: 829
edited June 2015 in Workshop
What are people's thoughts on SRAM power links? Two questions

1 - SRAM state in their manual that there are single use only, is this over cautiousness or is their a real reason as to why, and has anyone got any experience reusing them?

1 - I've got a Shimano chain with a quick link already on it but I've purchased a new chain, should I reuse that one or is that a bad idea also.
One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    I always use a new KMC (missing link) when I fit a new chain as they are supplied with the chain, same for the SRAM (powerlink) chains. Save your old powerlink as an emergency spare and carry with you on your rides.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    I use only SRAM powerlinks, not a single problem in 5 years.
    Open/close them 3-5 times in chain life.
    New chain, new link.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I thought that Power Links were meant to be reusable but Power Locks were one use only (but people get away with reusing them; just need the removal pliers to undo cos they are a tighter fit)

I use KMC Missing Links myself. Since they wear at the same rate, you should really fit a new one with a new chain, which is easy with KMC chains since they are supplied with them. I use mainly Shimano chains, and occasionally reuse the old link. However I once had a Missing Link fall apart while degreasing a chain, so they don't last forever!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,173
    ^^^this

i've tested powerlock brute force removal with link pliers - had plenty to spare as i never use them, always fit a kmc link instead - small shards of metal get stripped off the first time, that can't be a good thing

i'm happy with kmc links designed for removal without needing tools
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny