Front and Rear Derailleurs

ChantelleC
ChantelleC Posts: 48
edited June 2015 in Workshop
Hi,

I'm slowing replacing my groupset from 9 speed Shimano Sora to 10 speed SRAM Apex. I've swapped the shifters, casette and rear mech over but stupidly, the compatibility between the SRAM shifters and Shimano front mech hasn't occured to me until now. I'm having a bit of trouble setting the front mech back up, it seems whatever I do with the screws doesn't move it. It might be because the cable isn't the correct tightness.

Could it be that I just need to master my skills or is it that the two aren't compatible? Any knowledge sharing with these models would be appreciated.

Thanks
Scott Foil 30
Trek 1.2
Trek Fuel EX5

Comments

• Front mech shouldnt matter between SRAM and Shimano.
    The screws limit how much the mech can move stopping the chain coming off too high or low.
    The cable tension moves the mech between the rings, generally it should be pulled so there is no slack when the chain is on teh lower ring.
    SRAM Shifters have a bit of movement before they start moving the mech unless they are Force/RED
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    Generally you want an inline cable adjuster for the front mech on a road bike as it's hard to get the cable tight enough by hand.

e.g.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-sm-ca70-inline-gear-cable-adjusters/rp-prod131355
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    On many bikes the downtube cable stops are threded to take an adjuster - a neater solution than in-line adjuster IMO.