Carbon clinchers and maintenance

lochindaal
lochindaal Posts: 475
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
I am looking to get a pair of Carbon or Carbon/alu rims 50mm (maybe 60mm) clinchers. They must be on the UCI approved list for doing triathlons.

My budget is probably towards the lower/mid range but I having read many threads on here some wheels are repairable and some almost have to be thrown away if you break a spoke.

Which are the best manufacturer to go for to get longevity via easily replaceable bits if needed?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    interesting question...
    First question? Is triathlon controlled by UCI?

The list is allegedly meant to give you a product which is safe in case of crash, meaning it shatters in a manner which the UCI likes... in practice it is a way large manufacturers have to control the market.
    The most "service friendly" options are not on the list (hand builts, Planet X, various Chinese options etc.. ) and among those that are on the list, it is difficult to pick a winner in that respect.
    Mavic are easy to fix if you find the parts, which is easy sometimes, impossible other times. Zipp notoriously have problematic hubs... Campagnolo wheels are controlled by a couple of distributors who are not overly keen on spares and of course anything which is distributed by Madison gets Madison support, which in my experience is not very good. Reynolds seem to be OK for the price... you could look at which Enve are on the list... HED have a simple enough construction to be easy to repair. Are FLO wheels on the list?

Ultimately it depends what your local LBS stocks and is happy to support/repair... if that is a concern of yours, I'd try to get a good deal with a shop, rather than buying online and being at the mercy of spotty adolescents at the phone when things go wrong
    left the forum March 2023
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    lochindaal wrote:
    I am looking to get a pair of Carbon or Carbon/alu rims 50mm (maybe 60mm) clinchers. They must be on the UCI approved list for doing triathlons.

My budget is probably towards the lower/mid range but I having read many threads on here some wheels are repairable and some almost have to be thrown away if you break a spoke.

Which are the best manufacturer to go for to get longevity via easily replaceable bits if needed?

Miche wheels are UCI approved. Spokes can be got hold of, along with other spares. However, the distributors
    ordered in spare spoke kits for repairs, and so far have only sent out 3 spokes!

I have a pair of their SWR RC carbon clinchers and they're superb. A lot of research and testing went into the brake surface, and how they perform long term.

I have the 38mm profile, but they are available in 50mm. http://road.cc/content/review/122172-mi ... her-wheels
  • lochindaal
    First question? Is triathlon controlled by UCI?
    At Age Group European & Worlds, yes it is and supposedly they do check. Hence why forced down that route

Here's the list for anyone interested http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/Rulesandregulation/16/51/87/Rules-Nonstandardwheels-ENG_English.PDF
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I would go to a UK builder like Wheelsmith who use non-proprietary hubs and spokes. I've just had a mare rebuilding some 5 year old Specialized wheels for a friend which use non-standard, straight-pull spokes no longer available...experienced similar problem with Mavic who discontinue spares support after 5 years - fine if you only use one pair of wheels, but less good if you have multiple pairs.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • lochindaal
    Wheelsmith don't do UCI approved wheels
  • Article 1.3.018 relates only to mass start competitions.
    In this type of events, the riders generally use standard (traditional) wheels which are clearly defined in
    Article 1.3.018. These wheels are authorised de facto.
    However, during mass start competitions, certain riders do use non-standard wheels (rims higher than 2.5
    cm, fewer than 16 spokes, spoke thicknesses of over 2.4 mm). If any of these conditions is noted, the wheel
    is deemed to be a non-standard wheel and must have passed a rupture test in order for it to be authorised
    for use in competition.
    The manufacturers inform the UCI of the names of wheels which have been successfully tested. The names
    of these wheels are shown in the list below. The wheels can therefore be clearly identified. If this is not the
    case then the wheel is not authorised for use.
    lochindaal wrote:
    Wheelsmith don't do UCI approved wheels

I m not a lawyer, but if I was and understood what Article 1.3.018 says,I would simply use a standard wheel, not a non-standard wheel.

Also I have used the search feature on the UCI website and cannot find much that relates to triathlon on their website, which I would have thought would come under documents or events so you may well be giving yourself a bum steer.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • lochindaal
    I m not a lawyer, but if I was and understood what Article 1.3.018 says,I would simply use a standard wheel, not a non-standard wheel.
    You could do that but then you take all aero wheels out of your buying list. Std must have a rim 2.5cm or less.
    Also I have used the search feature on the UCI website and cannot find much that relates to triathlon on their website, which I would have thought would come under documents or events so you may well be giving yourself a bum steer.

You need to look at the ITU rules instead http://www.triathlon.org/uploads/docs/itusport_competition-rules_19022014v2-highlighted.pdf - Page 27/28