Great Manchester Cycle 2015

homers_double
homers_double Posts: 7,977
Anyone else riding this?

We're riding the 26 mile event as MrsHD is entering along with her brother who hasn't ridden for ages, its more of a social thing so we've not bothered with the 52.
Advocate of disc brakes.

Comments

• homers_double
    Nobody? I won't say hello to any of you in the start pen then.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Feeling lonely?, could be a very empty closed road affair. think of yourself as a lone break away
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    would love to, but at a tennis tournament (with beer)!
  • roux_guy
    roux_guy Posts: 88
    I'll be doing the 26 on my pride and joy 1990 Dave Yates MTB :-) .
  • CYCLESPORT1
    CYCLESPORT1 Posts: 471
    Rip off !
  • roux_guy
    Well that was fun :D . Very windy but hot.
  • homers_double
    I waved...

What distance and time pal?

I did 1.17 on the 26m event and finished 27th!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • roux_guy
    I was riding a 35lb mountain bike and did 1.27 - hard work! Was great fun though :-). What were you riding, didn't notice anyone waving - mind you, I am incredibly easily distracted by hot girls on road bikes :oops: .
  • Prime586
    Prime586 Posts: 43
    I did the 52 mile. The website says 3:18, but my computer says it was 2:54 (slightly slower than last year, but given the conditions I'll take it) - I don't think that have taken off the stops at the feed zone yet.

it was rather unfortunate that the heavens opened bang on the start of the assembly time until the end of the first lap, and together with the crosswind it made the first couple of laps pretty tricky. That said, I only saw one ambulance this year - it looked like someone on a deep carbon-rimmed TT bike had gone down on Chester Rd heading back towards the Mancunian Way on my last lap. Hope whoever it was is OK. There seemed to be an awful lot of punctures though.

At least the roads were drying out for the 26 and 13 mile riders. I just have to face cleaning my bike now (and getting out of bed in the morning)!
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    I did the 52 miler too, me and a mate gave it everything we had from the off. 2hrs26 and 59th overall. Pretty chuffed with that. We didn't stop at the feed station, in fact we were going so hard I forgot to drink and I can't remember what the weather did apart from it was raining at the start. It was good fun in a painful kind of way and I'd definitely enter again next year. Very different to sportives that I've done in that being a closed circuit there were always riders up the road to hunt down, this definitely pushed us on harder. Not a race, but it was very obvious some were treating it as such....