29 "full suspension - Need your help

alonten
alonten Posts: 3
edited June 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hello everybody.

This is the first time I write here in the forum.
I want to buy a full-suspension bike 29 ".
I have two options:

1. MERIDA BIG NINETY-NINE 1000 Isr 2013 -This model with specifically manufactured for the Israeli market.

Specification highlights:

Front shock: FOX 32 Float 29 CTD O / C Evolution 100 Taper
Rear shock: Float CTD SV - Evolution
Rear DERAILLEUR: Shimano Deore XT
Front DERAILLEUR: Shimano SLX
Shifters: Shimano SLX XT -3 / -10
Crank: Shimano M522 octa 42-32-24
Brakes: Shimano M446 F. 180 mm | 180 mm R.

2. BIG NINETY-NINE 900 2014

FORK: RST First Air 29-32120 Remote taper
SHOCK: Fox Float CTD SV (No BV) - Evo
DERAILLEUR FRONT: Shimano Deore HD triple
DERAILLEUR REAR: Shimano Deore XT Shadow +
SHIFTERS: Shimano Deore
BRAKES: Shimano M505 180 mm Cen

What should I buy?
And why?
Many thanks :D

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    While the Fox EVO has a few doubters (it was Fox's new entry level and wasn't as good as their previous products) its a LOT better than the RST, so I'd take the 2013 all else being equal (condition and price mostly), the only place it's not quite a match for the 2014 is in the brakes, but in use they are just as good, just a little heavier which is probably more than offset by the other components anyway.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • alonten
    alonten Posts: 3
    The Rookie wrote:
    While the Fox EVO has a few doubters (it was Fox's new entry level and wasn't as good as their previous products) its a LOT better than the RST, so I'd take the 2013 all else being equal (condition and price mostly), the only place it's not quite a match for the 2014 is in the brakes, but in use they are just as good, just a little heavier which is probably more than offset by the other components anyway.

Thanks for your reply.

What about locking the fork?
    And the difference in length of suspension. (100mm VS120mm)