Best between Scott Aspect 750, RockHopper 29 and Marlin

aniket.g21
aniket.g21 Posts: 5
edited June 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hello Experts,
I wish to but an entry level MTB and have shortlisted below three. Need your expertise to help me choose one of these

1. Scott Aspect 750
2. Specialized RockHopper 29
3. Trek Marlin.

Looking for a bike around 700$ SGD. Other suggestions are welcome !!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Links might help.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • WHich links?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Links to web pages to the bikes you are looking at, there are different models in the range so we need to know we are looking at the right model.

Big name brands are often not as good at this price point (sub £1K) than the smaller brands like Boardman or Voodoo, so whichever of those is best, it's probably not the best bike you could buy, you will be paying too much just for the brand name.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    This is a UK based website so we don't know the best budget brands in Singapore (which is where I assume you are based on the 'SGD'.

All the bikes have a very basic fork (the single most important component) the Marlin's is undamped so should be ruled out straight away.

Of the other two, the Specialized is slightly better specified and has a custom damper in the fork, which they have been quite good at in the past, so of the three it would be the Specialized, that said it is still a poor specification for the money based on UK prices, but I know the import duties to Singapore can be painful!

What would you be using the bike for?

Found this at a local shop
    http://store.rodalink.com.sg/2015-polyg ... d_search=0
    Much better specced than the above, you'd need to confirm the fork is Hydraulic lockout (it will move a small amount when 'locked' a mechanical lockout is totally rigid) but nearly all XCR are hydraulic (and therefore are damped). I don't know the brand but that looks very much like a Merida frame, so I would guess it's a full Merida build, so would be confident in it being a reasonable ride.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yeah I agree all three have a very basic fork. Thanks for helping me rule out one of them.
    The polygon bike you have recommended also has the same fork I guess.

I wont be doing a lot of off-road biking. What would be your suggestion for although this one is hybrid with rigid forks http://cyclecraftsg.com/product/merida- ... -100-bike/
  • The Rookie
    No the Polygon has an XCR, the others the XCT, from the same family but the parts are better on the XCR, the stanchions are larger diameter making it stiffer (twists less) and the lowers are magnesium alloy making them lighter than the aluminium alloy XCT.

If you are riding roads and just gravel tracks a rigid fork is a better bet, but that Merida is very poorly specced, worse than the mountain bikes despite saving on the suspension fork!