Shimano M540 clipless adjustments - too much play

pseymour
pseymour Posts: 194
edited June 2015 in MTB beginners
I've recently gone back to trying riding clipless again. I'd just like some confirmation on what the adjustment dials actually do on the pedals. I know the easiest thing is to try it and see, but I won't be riding again for a week. If you turn the nut either + or - does that alter how easily your feet unclip. My feet were unclipping really easily last time I used then, but also I noticed loads of movement or play within the cleat. Does this just go hand in hand with easy disengagement. Ideally I'd prefer easy disengagement, but less play or movement while I'm clipped in. Im using Multi release cleats which may add to the issue. Many thanks in advance.
Giant Anthem X3 2010.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    It's not play, it's float.

Float is set to so many degrees.

How hard it is to clip in and out is set by the + and - , plus = harder, minus = easier
  • pseymour
    Thanks Chunkers1980. Presumably I can't adjust the Float? And the + and - won't effect it either? There feels like far too much float at the moment.
    Giant Anthem X3 2010.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Float's fixed unfortunately.

Easier does make it feel like there's more float.

Are you sure your cleats are rock solid in your shoes?

EDIT: just seen you said multi release cleats. I've never used them - I always use SH51s which have been spot on.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The different models of cleats have different amounts of float.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    I recently went from the multi-release (silver) cleats to the single-release (black) cleats on my SPD shoes - there is now a lot less float (noticeably so).

I wouldn't run the silver ones MTBing though - they pop out upwards which isn't helpful when you are trying to flick the bike around and your shoe detaches itself!!

bob6397
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Never had mine detach, and they are 5 years old and have been used across 6 different sets of pedals (including Shimano, Xpedo and Ritchey).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pseymour
    With hindsight my question should have been based around asking if multi-release cleats (SH56) offer much more float along with being easier to release. I've ridden these cleats for an hour of decent trail riding and not once did they come close to releasing themselves. But I suppose it depends on your riding style etc. If they did release themselves, they wouldn't be fit for purpose. But initial thoughts are they are much better for me than SH51's apart from to much float. But I can live with that to avoid the clipless moment of falling over.
    Giant Anthem X3 2010.
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    pseymour wrote:
    But I can live with that to avoid the clipless moment of falling over.

Never had an issue unclipping on the SH-51's compared to the SH-56's (when I wanted to unclip).. My issue with the SH-56's was not actually as bad as it sound now that I read my eariler post back - I did ride with them for over a year before changing them to the SH-51's.

BUT now that I have changed them I wouldn't change them back - there isn't that much less float and I have more confidence in them as they haven't popped out on me unwanted (yet) - the SH-56's did this once or twice every 20 miles (ish) so it wasn't bad - just it is better now.

bob6397
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie