General maintenance - Cables -

Joeblack
Joeblack Posts: 829
edited June 2015 in Workshop
Hi guys,

After a couple of days working on my bike for the first time it managed to give it a full service, by this i mean taking the whole bike apart, back to a bare frame and greasing all parts including head set and bb, then replacing all the inner and outer cables as well as the cassette and chain.

Anyways after feeling very proud of myself as I'm a complete mechanical phobe I took the bike out for a ride and everything is running fine, one thing I haven't been able to find any info on is how I look after the cables (day to day) going forward, they are Teflon jagwire if that helps.
One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling

Comments

• bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    They shouldn't need much work if you greased them up when you put it all back together. I occasionally squirt a bit of GT85 down them if I use the bike in really wet and muddy conditions but other than that I leave them..

bob6397
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • Joeblack
    bob6397 wrote:
    They shouldn't need much work if you greased them up when you put it all back together. I occasionally squirt a bit of GT85 down them if I use the bike in really wet and muddy conditions but other than that I leave them..

bob6397

Hi, thanks for the reply, what do you mean by greased them up? The cables etc? I didn't put any grease on those! Was I supposed to?! :shock:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Teflon coated cables shouldn't require any greasing; slippery enough as they are. Only drawback can be if the coating starts to come off and bung things up.

I usually grease stainless steel inner cables before fitting and occasionally thereafter.
  • Joeblack
    Ahhh ok I see, thanks guys
  • Rightarmbad
    Rightarmbad Posts: 216
    Putt a squirt of grease in the housing end caps when you fit them.
    This stops the metal casing from rusting and swelling and then tightening up on the cables.
    That is the normal failure mode of cable housing.
    If you pull the teflon liner out of an old casing that was sticking, usually the liner shows no damage.
    It's only the casing rusting an swelling that tightens up on the inner causing drag.