My chain sucks!

philcubed
philcubed Posts: 260
edited June 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, looks like I have chainsuck. The chain is not disengaging from the bottom of the middle ring on the front (I have a 3x10 set up) and is riding up. Seems to be more prevalent when I am in the smaller 3 or 4 cogs at the back. Is this likely to be just the chain being knackered (I'll change the cassette too), or should I change the front chainrings too? Front chainrings are FC-M522, are 4 years old, 2700 miles on them, middle ring is 'shark-toothed'. Can I change just the middle ring on this, or do I have to change the lot? Cheers.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Usually means the front chainring is shot, most likely caused by the chain elongating to far (measured it?) and that may also have done for the cassette. Moral is to check your chain!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • You will probably have to change the chainring (the middle one) as it has worn in step with the chain and won't 'fit' the new chain as well as it should. Sounds like you mainly use the middle chainring so the inner & outer may well be usable