Wilier Cento SR or Bianchi Oltre XR2

Grifteruk
Grifteruk Posts: 244
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
So yesterday went from a great day with a top ten finish to disaster when my Wilier Cento SR frame took what appears to be fatal carbon damage to the top tube. Wont bore with the detail but a 6 inch crack is almost certainly fatal !!

Anyway looking at having to pick up a replacement (insured thank goodness) and am currently mulling over the options:

1. Straight replacement Wilier Cento Uno SR - I would do this other than my custom paint job which means a long wait over the summer months; or

2. I like the look of the Bianchi Oltre XR2, but am looking for experience from any owners out there. Pros / cons etc...

Anyone out there with experience of both who can comment would be great.

thanks

Comments

• dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,974
    Grifteruk wrote:
    So yesterday went from a great day with a top ten finish to disaster when my Wilier Cento SR frame took what appears to be fatal carbon damage to the top tube. Wont bore with the detail but a 6 inch crack is almost certainly fatal !!

I can't help with the comparison but as a Cento Uno owner I would be interested to know what caused the damage to your top tube... impact, crash?
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    I have a five year old Izoard XP. I love the bike and have ridden it a fair bit. I still like looking at it as the paintjob/decal still appeal and to my eye haven't dated that badly. it's fair to say that I am suffering a bit of upgraditis and whilst I don't want to be unfaithful to the old girl (the bike that is) I do wonder if I can find something lighter, stiffer, more responsive and shinier. I'd love to consider another Wilier but here's the rub - the current colour ways and even next years are to my eye "awful". Seriously I don't know what they were thinking off when they painted those frames. My next bike will probably not be a Wilier.

The Bianchi looks nicer but I think it depends on your love of all things celeste or not. There was a guy selling a rather mean looking black one in the classified a week or two back.

Assuming its only the frame that is trashed then why not consider a custom made and painted frame like a Legend - although i suppose lead time could be an issue.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    bite the bullet - get a Zero 7 !
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • ivanoile
    ivanoile Posts: 202
    I think Bianchi should redesign their Oltre model or at least they will ad that new model(Classicissima?) which should be interesting thing to see.
    Also why not 101 Air?
  • Grifteruk
    Grifteruk Posts: 244
    Thanks all. To pick up some replies:

- Nothing wrong with the old bike just one of those things so if you have a cento at the moment no cause for concern;

- Aint got time for a custom build Im afraid big event at end of Aug and need to dial in the bike;

- Zero 7 is an option I am going to have a look at it;

- If I go for a new Wilier Cento SR I will get it custom painted at Wilier - had a quote on lead time and it just about works. As I know the frame no worries about dialling in the bike as dimensions will be as before;

- I suspect this will come down to the usual heart over head decision with looks winning the day but am gonna test out a Bianchi before I make any decisions.

As it is for the time being back to my first love 2011 Cento which, TBH, was still my favourite. Can you believe the wife convinced me to keep it rather than selling it :shock: both the bike and the wife are keepers !!
  • ivanoile
    ivanoile Posts: 202
    Check Sarto bikes (they are made in Italy from a small family),they have a fine rage of frames and are very special.Altough price is high,but not higher than your choice.
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Just got an xr2.

Seems pretty good so far. Feels very very fast, easy to wind up to speed, super responsive and pretty comfortable for a race bike. Handling is pretty neutral on a 57 with 120 stem,

It's maybe not a planted enough feel for my tastes but it's early days and I've only ridden it so far with wheels that are also new to me, bora 50. I suspect there's room for improvement with a change and to be fair the more I ride the better it's feeling.

It feels more American than Italian to me - think more super six evo than c59. It feels very light underfoot and is a lively frame in terms of feedback, not muted like most Italians I've ridden - Colnago, piña, scapin

Coming off a custom Parlee which is incredible and will be difficult if not impossible to match up to, before that a c59.

Under heavy acceleration it feels easily as stiff as my Parlee and old Tarmac sl4 which to me are benchmarks, stiffer than c59.

Vertical compliance is probably on a par with a Tarmac sl4 or ss Evo. Much better than something like a venge.