What Stem to fit Cinelli Criterium 65-42

Chris1178
Chris1178 Posts: 21
edited June 2015 in Workshop
Hi all

Refurbing an old fram recently resprayed. Got the quill stem adapter now fitted but not sure what stem width i need to go over these old bars i have.

They are Cinelli Criterium 65-42.... Read a few things saying 26.4mm width would fit but can anyone confirm this for me please??

Cheers
chris 8)

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Old cinelli bars were 26.4 so you won't find a ahead stem that fits. Moreover, old bars with new type stems are not a good idea. I have seen more than one shearing at the clamp resulting in nasty accidents.

Old bars were not reinforced and need to be clamped with an old quill.

Moral: change the bars or get a quill.... what's wrong with a quill? They look awesome and are very practical
    left the forum March 2023
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Old cinelli bars were 26.4 so you won't find a ahead stem that fits. Moreover, old bars with new type stems are not a good idea. I have seen more than one shearing at the clamp resulting in nasty accidents.

Old bars were not reinforced and need to be clamped with an old quill.

Moral: change the bars or get a quill.... what's wrong with a quill? They look awesome and are very practical

I've got a Cinelli 1R in the shed, unfortunately with a bit missing so a bit unsaleable.

I was amazed after a quick google that Halfords, of all places, have Cinelli 1A's on their website

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/parts/h ... quill-stem