Rockshox fork service - which seals

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited June 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Just bought some used SID's (later 32mm dual air) to go on the Niota as the Manitou's flexiness is getting a bit tiresome, will be giving them a basic service straight away and wondering which seals the forum collectively thinks I should go for
1/ Stock RS grey seals
2/ Later RS low (lower?) friction black seals
3/ SKF low friction seals (other competitors around, some maybe SKF sold under some other name - Enduro, Push, etc)

The Greys can be had for about £12 delivered, Blacks about a fiver more and the SKF for about £28.

So opinions please (with some reasoning!)

Will be used with foam rings not an oil seal.
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I know it's not one of the options but I'll be using push seals when I service my revs, £25 from tf tuned. No reasoning other than heard a good review and with the reputation of push I thought I'd give them a try.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So one for option 3 (under the other caveat - edited for clarify), for the extra you must have some reasoning, after all the stock RS seals don't have a bad name.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    Racing bro's seals are £22 and seem a good bet.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have been using Racing Bros seals on Rockshox forks for a few years. On 35mm stanchions I can tell the difference (just about) but for 32mm stanchions I wouldn't bother.
  • Stock grey. Cheap and work absolutely fine.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Stock ones hsould be fine to be honest I did my Toras the other week using a set of grey ones as I couldnt get hold of the "low" friction black ones they actually feel better than the black ones to me.
  • Rightarmbad
    Rightarmbad Posts: 216
    The new low friction seals are manufactured by SKF anyways.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Just done a service on a set of Recon Gold forks using the Black seals. You can push the older Grey seals in by hand but I had to make a fitting tool out of 40mm plastic pipe to get the Black ones in straight. Refitting the stanchions and the Black seals are noticeably stretchier than the Grey this means its a bit fiddlier to fit the stanchions you get one side in and then go to fit the other and the first one pops out. Took maybe 15 minutes longer to do the service but that does include cutting the pipe to length.

I have been told its not so much low friction as less likely to build up crud under the seal and cause friction and wear.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap