commuting on a tri bike?

wbbigdave
wbbigdave Posts: 16
edited June 2015 in Commuting general
Does anyone have experience of commuting on a tri bike. It will be on drop bars with clip / flat pedals. Specifically in looking at getting a Quintana Roo Trueno 2008.

Or something more up to date in a btwin Triban something or other (3/500/500 se)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Depends on where you ride, but if it's running normal drop bars then apart from slightly different geometry it will be no more or less practical than a road bike.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ManiaMuse
    ManiaMuse Posts: 89
    wbbigdave wrote:
    Does anyone have experience of commuting on a tri bike. It will be on drop bars with clip / flat pedals. Specifically in looking at getting a Quintana Roo Trueno 2008.

Or something more up to date in a btwin Triban something or other (3/500/500 se)
    Just make sure you are quick, otherwise you will look silly. :P
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    bradley%20wiggins%20sets%20cycling%20hour%20record%20in%20london-1.jpg
    Big Dave on his way to work!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    Commuted on a tri bike last night and this morning.
    Last night quick (23-24 av); this morning nice and slow through London traffic.
    Velopark 10 this evening - no other way for me to get the bike there, other than to commute with it.

There's plenty of road warriors trying to scalp any roadie, whether on full tri bike, road bike or Brompton. I've given up caring.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • daveski12
    daveski12 Posts: 158
    Have commuted on mine to get more time in position.

I have a fairly rural commute though.
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    Have commuted on mine to get more time in position.

I have a fairly rural commute though.

Likewise (when I'm not in London). There's plenty who don't get sufficient time on the aero bike in training, and as a result I suspect they don't get the benefits of the position and slightly different leg muscle action
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire