Felt 7 Fifty

kamil1891
kamil1891 Posts: 658
edited June 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

Just looking for some opinions on this bike or different spec Felt 7 bikes : http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-7-fifty-2015/

Anyone ridden them and rated?

Cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Someone was confused or drunk.

"RockShox XC30 fork
    The RockShox Pike RC fork comes with 160mm of travel and Dual position Air, providing a silky smooth performance and also maintaining traction, allowing you to hit all the rock-infested trails."

I blame Wiggle.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kamil1891
    Yeah, I've seen that. But it comes with the XC 30 fork.

Also, for someone 6'3 (190cm) with ability to ride very aero/aggresively on road bikes etc. which size would be better 20' or 22'??
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It's not great for the price. Sizing is not just dependant on your height, you need to try some bikes. You will probably need a large or extra large frame. Seat tube length isn't too important.
  • kamil1891
    Can you tell me what's wrong with the spec for the price then? Additionally, I can have it for 700 quid with my platinum discount, that's why I'm considering it.

I have got a few road bikes/cx and always chosen size down + longer stems etc. Also had bike good bike fit which confirmed the sizes too. However, only had one MTB before which was quickly written off after a collision with a car. It was a canyon 29er and size L. Its size was also good for me.

With this one though I'm not too sure if L or XL is right as I seem to be on the borders of the size guides.
  • kamil1891
    For example, Felt's size L has 630mm top tube and Canyon's L that I used to own was 610mm. Wheelbase is about the same and head tube is again 3mm longer on the Felt, which I would assume will be a slightly bigger frame overall that the Canyon.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The fork on that bike isn't great, at this price I would expect 32mm stanchions to reduce flex.
    Sizing a mountain bike by fitting a longer stem can ruin the handling, it's important to get it right to start with.
    Bike fit doesn't really work for mountain bikes, you never spend long in one position on the bike, it's more important that it's right when you're out of the saddle for technical riding when you want to be able to control the bike and get your weight where you need it.
    Forget everything about road bike fit, it's all irrelevant for mountain bikes.
  • kamil1891
    Thanks for the info and your time. I don't know much about MTB forks at all. But, all bikes I have seen at around 500-700 have Suntours which I have heard are even worse.

I know that too long stems can ruin the riding on the mtb and never really thought of adjusting a mtb like a road bike. However, there is no much choice. It could be either Large (20'') or Extra Large (22''). I don't want it to be too large nor too small and have always thought it is always better to go with the smaller one if you don't have a chance to test it out. Felt's L is (20''), my old Canyon L was (19''). Given the above dimensions I think it is reasonable to think Large is the better size in the case of this particular bike, isn't it?
  • rockmonkeysc
    The XC30 fork is no better than a budget Suntour fork. The Suntour Raidon is actually much better.
    At this price I would go for a Boardman HT or Voodoo Bizango. Even with your discount, these are better and cheaper.
  • kamil1891
    Thanks again :-)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The XC30 (was called the Recon) is pretty similar to the Suntour Raidon (though I think the Raidon is better than a 30 silver), the Suntour Epicon which can be found at bikes at this price point (£700) is much much better than the XC30.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.