specialized..too good to be true?

Philsmith87
Philsmith87 Posts: 7
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
Good evening all

Looking to buy a new bike and came across this and wondered whether it sounds too good to be true for the price. Any thoughts most welcome.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specialized-S ... 4d32ef548a
Thanks

Phil

Comments

• Under the downtube the paint has a small area of damage I had it checked it was deemed to be structurally perfect so just a small cosmetic issue which isn't even noticeable see photo's for details.

I'm interested in knowing who checked the frame; AFAIK, checking a carbon frame for structural damage is a pretty intensive process, even where possible. Given the lack of any close-up photos I'd be very wary.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Carbon fibre is tougher than people generally give it credit for. Even badly damaged frames can be easily repaired to be as good as new, reletively cheaply. Personally, I'd be more concerned that the frame is genuine and not a Chinese fake, but the seller seems quite open and the bike is fitted with SRAM Red so.....
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Personally, I wouldn't say 2.6k for a second hand bike with no warranty was too good to be true. If you are concerned then walk away. If you want to pursue the sale then contact the owner and ask about receipts and the possibility of a presale viewing, etc. Neither are essential but it helps to see what the owner's response is and builds towards a credible seller.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    One thing that strikes me as odd is that the chain seems to be way too long.

The rear mech is already a long way back - when you drop to the front chain ring, I'm not sure the rear mech will be able to take up the slack.....
  • tmg
    tmg Posts: 651
    I'd want photos of the damage he mentions in the advert to see just how bad it is, but I wouldnt spend £2600 on a damaged, even if it is just cosmetic, carbon frame. Spesh do give lifetime warranty on frames but only to original buyer so if anything did go wrong it would be a total loss on your part

If its been checked out professionally and the seller paid for such a service then wouldn't they issue some kind of certificate or give some level of assurance relative to that assesment? Also why hasn't the seller had the damage repaired knowing he wants to get rid and any potential damage will put most folk off
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    tmg wrote:
    I'd want photos of the damage he mentions in the advert to see just how bad it is

He did provide that: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA2NFgxNjAw/z/5ckAAOSwBLlVZege/$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

It looks like it may just be the paint to me, but I am not a professional and I would want to know who checked it and wouldnt buy it unless I trusted the answer and had proof...
  • If you MASSIVELY enlarge that pic it looks like the downtube has suffered a non bike riding impact, even a tightening of a clamp on a bike rack or similar.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Agree with SS on that.

If you zoom in to 400% (if you use IE its at the bottom right of the window) you can see that there is a more of a spiders web type compression at the 'ding' but also a 6 inch crack running up the downtube and a few cracks running down it.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    ebay? secondhand bike? damaged frame? £2600? What could possibly go wrong?
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    One thing that strikes me as odd is that the chain seems to be way too long.

The rear mech is already a long way back - when you drop to the front chain ring, I'm not sure the rear mech will be able to take up the slack.....

and the chain looks like its jammed in the front mech.
  • One thing that strikes me as odd is that the chain seems to be way too long.

Looks like he's running a medium cage rear mech but that only looks like a 26 or 28 cassette. So he's either been using a bigger cassette and hasn't shortened the chain for the one fitted.
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    You obviously need clarification with regards the condition of the frame. seems very low for a 2015 venge in decent condition.

With regards the chain length is it possible the sellers swapped out the groupset for the sale? On a 2015 bike you'd be more likely to see red 22 or its equivalent no?
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • Has anyone heard from the OP? Has he bought it?
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Has anyone heard from the OP? Has he bought it?

he's at B&Q buying gaffer tape and Super Glue, just in case....
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    What a hideously ugly bike that is. Forget whether it is damaged or not, the OP should not buy it on aesthetic grounds alone.
  • Ask seller why they didn't just get a replacement frame from Spesh under their lifetime warranty scheme. If they reply that Spesh inspected it and said there was no need then they should put that in writing if seller asks - or - ask who at Spesh inspected and said that and contact them yourself. If you don't get a good answer then logical conclusion is that seller is (at least) a second owner so I would walk away.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    One for sale on this forum, same size and brand new for £1600 inc bars and stem:

viewtopic.php?f=40091&t=13030169

New Red 22 group set for £450:

viewtopic.php?f=40091&t=13030260

That's £2k, then you just need wheels and cranks. You'd have a brand new Venge for not much more than a second hand one with a damaged frame.....
  • miker
    miker Posts: 177
  • I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550

That link doesn't seem to work for me but is it the extortionate Venge that looks like its slid on it's right side down a road for 100m? Strange the OP didn't elaborate in his ad...
  • miker

That link doesn't seem to work for me but is it the extortionate Venge that looks like its slid on it's right side down a road for 100m? Strange the OP didn't elaborate in his ad...

Seems there are a lot of keyboard warriors on this forum! Pretty sure it's mentioned in the ad, didn't realise it was possible for a non motorised bike to travel 100m on it's side..... As to extortionate I guess that's just a matter of opinion...
  • Link doesn't work
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550

Seems there are a lot of keyboard warriors on this forum! Pretty sure it's mentioned in the ad, didn't realise it was possible for a non motorised bike to travel 100m on it's side..... As to extortionate I guess that's just a matter of opinion...

Sorry didn't mean to offend and I see you've put details of your off on the ebay link, I just seem to remember reading your original ad on here (which has vanished?) and thought he's going to have to explain that a bit more. As to extortionate, I've been told that buying second hand people generally expect 30% off the lowest available brand new price even if something is still unused, due to loss of warranty etc. With damage I'm not sure how much extra you'd lose. Can't remember what you were after but good luck with the sale anyway.
  • miker
    No probs, it got removed because of the eBay link and I thought best not to add the link here again. I'm after £3200