Cervelo s3

steveb1020
steveb1020 Posts: 55
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi just wanted people's opinions , at the moment I ride a giant defy about 100 miles a week but no more than 30 at a time , I'm always trying to beat my previous times , I suffer from certain back issues and realise that it will be a different riding position , I average between 19 and 20 mph , will I be any quicker on a cervelo and is riding at a more race position be worse on the back even though it's fairly short distances thanks for your help, I live Norfolk so not many hills ,also any recommendations on cycle shops cheers

Comments

• londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    Another post you might find handy:

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13029766&p
  • steveb1020
    Hi just another quick question , where does this bike rate in the £4000 bracket compared to others cheers
  • Overpriced compared with Canyon, under specced compared with Rose/ Cannondale
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • steveb1020
    Hi didn't know that , is there much of a difference, also with the same level of fitness will I be quicker on a full out race bike than my defy
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    edited June 2015
    steveb1020 wrote:
    Hi didn't know that , is there much of a difference, also with the same level of fitness will I be quicker on a full out race bike than my defy
    This question could kick off a whole host of replies.
    You should be slightly faster - reduction in weight will save a few seconds going uphill and allow you to get the bike up to speed marginally quicker.
    Aero improvements will help a bit, I have heard people quoting that you need to be able average c.20 mph to make any difference, others have said that is rubbish.
    Placebo effect of being a nice shiny new bike will probably make you try harder and therefore cycle faster.
    But fitness and your own body weight will be the main drivers of improvement in speed. PLus having a new bike will probably make you more likely to get out more and therefore improve your fitness.

In my experience riding my better bike far more enjoyable, so for me that justifies spending the extra money, whether or not it makes me any quicker (although I think it does).
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Buy a powermeter for the Defy and learn how to use it. 3k saving..
  • steveb1020 wrote:

Probably not
    iPete wrote:
    Buy a powermeter for the Defy and learn how to use it. 3k saving..
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    If your Defy is a good fit then don't expect the S3 to make much difference.
    There are only 4 main factors governing your speed (listed in probable order of importance):
    Power output
    Aerodynamics
    Weight (both you and your bike - only of big significance on hilly routes)
    Rolling resistance (tyres and tyre pressures - easy and relatively cheap to optimise)

Power is obviously down to fitness and perhaps a tiny impact from bike frame/power train efficiency but don't expect to notice the later.
    Aerodynamics is mostly about rider position. If you can get lower and tuck your shoulders in, you'll get faster for the same power. An aero frame like the S3 might make a minor difference but I really would expect it to be pretty small. Likewise wheels. In fact after rider position an aero or semi aero helmet and tight fitting jersey will probably make the next biggest difference.

So if your goal is to get faster, and if your position on the Defy suits your purposes then you probably can't buy any significant extra speed with the S3. It's a lovely looking bike and may be very nice to ride but unless you change your position or fitness there's no real point in terms of performance.

Considering your back problems, I'd suggest looking very carefully at the changes to position that may be necessary for any new bike. In fact I would figure out the position first and chose the bike second. If you haven't doen so already, try modifying your position on the existing bike to simulate what you're planning to change to. For example you can add/remove spacers and change stem length and angles to see what's comfortable and what's not. This may cost you €50 for a stem but it's well worth doing to be confident when you spend €4000 on a bike. I presume the Cervelo S3 has much more aggressive geometry than the Defy, i.e. longer reach and/or shorter head tube so that you'll end up in a less upright position unless you compensate with a shorter stem and lots of spacers. If the low position suits you and doesn't aggravate your back - great! If it's uncomfortable and makes your back worse then the S3 or any bike with that sort of geometry is the wrong bike for you.
    No point getting a low aero and aggressive bike and then adding loads of spacers and a short flipped stem. It doesn't achieve anything, it just spends money.
  • steveb1020
    Hi thanks for all your replies and effort appreciate it cheers
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    The geometry of the current Cervelo R and S bikes is identical. They are not considered as particularly aggressive in terms of the Stack/reach ratio. I don't think it would be too different from the Defy range and are certainly more forgiving than say the Canyon Ultimate range of frames. S3 is a lovely looking bike, I'd like one but I don't see it as great value for the non-competing amateur rider. If you have £3-4k to spare then why not but It won't be any faster than the Defy. You might well be more inspired to ride it and therefore get fitter which is still a legitimate reason for purchase.

Personally I think the value / performance sweetpost for Cervelo looks like the R2 and S2. You'll likely be able to get an R2 for c £1800 - stick a £300 set of wheels on it versus the supplied hoops and you'll have a fantastic bike.