Starting to Cycle.

Frafonso
Frafonso Posts: 4
edited June 2015 in MTB beginners
Good evening,

I just moved to Luton and I plan start cycling to do some exercise.

I've been looking into some bikes and was planning to get a MTB but when I went to the store, the guy there told me there arent many routes around Luton and what I will find more in around this area is tarmac instead of trails.

The guys told me to go for a hybrid due to the area and because they are more comfortable but I dont know if I should or not because if I find a trails in forest that I can go through I will prefer that.

What would be the best choice? Could you advice me.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Go and have a look for forests and trails. If there are some within a reasonable distance then buy a mountain bike.
    If you are only going to ride on roads and paths then a hybrid is probably the best option.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Frafonso
    JBA wrote:
    Go and have a look for forests and trails. If there are some within a reasonable distance then buy a mountain bike.
    If you are only going to ride on roads and paths then a hybrid is probably the best option.

I would prefer to avoid roads and paths if possible but from what some ppl told around Luton might be hard to find trails.
  • philcubed
    philcubed Posts: 260
    You can ride on bridleways legally (country footpaths illegally, but if they are not often used then who's to know). Check on www.bing.com/maps and click the 'ordnance survey' option to show all these.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    philcubed wrote:
    You can ride on bridleways legally (country footpaths illegally, but if they are not often used then who's to know). Check on http://www.bing.com/maps and click the 'ordnance survey' option to show all these.
    Not strictly illegal as it is not against the law, it may be trespass and the landowner (occupier) could sue for damages caused.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Frafonso
    Thank you for the help guys.