Rockshox Remote Damper Without a Remote

peter413
peter413 Posts: 5,120
edited June 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Ok this has probably been asked before but I've got my eyes on a Reba RLT for fairly cheap. Problem is it's a remote version but doesn't include a remote. I never bother with lockouts anyway so is there any reason I couldn't just use the fork as is? Would it behave just like the equivalent without the remote apart from not being able to lock?

I know I could buy a remote for it anyway but the point is I don't want a remote as I never use lockouts meaning it's pointless and cluttering the bars for no reason not to mention being another thing to break.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Depends which way the return spring works. Some return to the open position which is good. Some return to the locked position which means that removing the cable will leave them locked. If they return to locked, you need to remove the compression damper and unhook the spring from the damper. You can leave the spring in there as long as it's disengaged. Takes about 15 minutes and you need a 24mm spanner or socket.
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    AFAIK, solo air forks with the RL dampers default to being locked, so you'd either need to buy a remote or do what Rockmonkey said.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The remotes are terrible pieces of useless plastic crap which work for about five minutes. I really wouldn't recommend buying one.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    That was the other reason I was trying to avoid buying one. Sounds like a bit of a gamble so I'll probably give them a miss. Although I have the tools and confidence to remove the spring in the damper should it be needed I would rather not mess around with them and I'm sure it would probably void the warranty.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can use an old friction thumb shifter instead, super reliable and gives you a degree of linear adjustment on the fly as well.

Here you go I'm sure the 3 speed side is frction
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHIMANO-Tourn ... 3aab8edebf
    if not http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHIMANO-SL-TZ ... 35befcba62
    Either way plenty around, in fact the best are probably the really low level ones with friction adjust on top, so get to a local bike recycling centre!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.