9/10/11sp wheels on 10sp Di2

gotwood25
gotwood25 Posts: 314
edited June 2015 in Workshop
So just bought a new wheelset which is 9/10/11sp compatible, comes with the spacer, put it altogether and everything is rosey till I shift into the smallest sprocket which then makes the rear dérailleur start jumping about.

I have tried adding another (thinner) spacer, removing the bigger spacer, re-indexing and adjusting the lo-limit screw without success.

What am I missing?

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,173
    shimano 10sp cassette (except a few like tiagra) needs the cassette spacer

11sp wheel with 9/10sp cassette needs the wheel spacer

so for most shimano 10sp cassettes you need to use both spacers

a sram 10sp cassette (or tiagra) would only use the wheel spacer
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,765
    I for one can't really understand what you are describing. When you shift to the smallest cog, what happens exactly?
  • gotwood25
    Shifting into the smallest cog doesn't seem to seat right and the rear dérailleur keeps jumping.

Thought I needed both spacers, will persist, got to be something simple/stupid I'm not doing right.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    edited June 2015
    If its the smallest sprocket (11t). Then you need to adjust the high-limit screw.

Check the b-screw adjustment aswell.

Is the wheel seated properly?

My money is on not enough spacers.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,765
    trailflow wrote:
    If its the smallest sprocket (11t). Then you need to adjust the high-limit screw.

Check the b-screw adjustment aswell.
    Yeah - if you've already tried the high limit screw, the derralieur cage might be bouncing off the cassette. The b-limit screw might need adjusting, but you might also need to look at chain length.
  • gotwood25
    Well the mystery is over, cheers for the replies, much appreciated.

I guess this is where I point out to everyone how much of a bellend I am trying to put a 12t lock ring on an 11-23 cassette. Well that's been a waste of a morning :-)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If it's any consolation, that's what I was about to suggest. I've read that very description so many times now, you are clearly not alone in making that mistake.

Happily I don't require anything smaller than a 12t sprocket!