Can hydraulic brakes cope with being bike being inverted?

friedpizzainbatter
friedpizzainbatter Posts: 166
edited June 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
Apologies if this has been asked before, I did a search and didn't get any hits.
A few years ago I was told that turning a bike with hydraulic brakes upside down was a bad idea as it caused air bubbles to form.
Is this the case? I can't remember who told me this, but every time I'm at the 7 stanes I see lots of people with their bikes upside down while they put wheels on after travelling there with the bike in the back of the car.
I'm wondering if I'm being a bit of an idiot wrestling wheels back on after punctures with the bike the right way up?
Trek Domane 4.3. Merida One.forty 7.700. Merida CX 3. Voodoo Bizango
"When the vulture flies sideways the moon has hair on his upper lip"

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    It can not cause bubbles to form.

BUT if there is air in the MC then it can on some find its way to the hose. And then if the lever is activated while it is there you have issues.

Brakes that are susceptible to this are ones where you remove the cap to bleed the brakes. Ones that have a fully closed system fir bleeding etc are fine (avid, Formula) as any air is totally removed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I've never had a problem with it, or not with shimano brakes anyway. The levers do go spongy as air moves from the reservoir to the caliper, but a few pumps of the lever once the right way round sorts it out.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    It can not cause bubbles to form.

BUT if there is air in the MC then it can on some find its way to the hose. And then if the lever is activated while it is there you have issues.

Brakes that are susceptible to this are ones where you remove the cap to bleed the brakes. Ones that have a fully closed system fir bleeding etc are fine (avid, Formula) as any air is totally removed.

Thanks for the reply. That's going to make life easier. : )
    Trek Domane 4.3. Merida One.forty 7.700. Merida CX 3. Voodoo Bizango
    "When the vulture flies sideways the moon has hair on his upper lip"