Is this chain still safe to use ?

DCI Gene Hunt
DCI Gene Hunt Posts: 138
edited June 2015 in Workshop
Last week I put a new 10 speed chain on my bike. I was doing a deep clean today and I removed that chain and soaked it in a diesel bath. It was very windy and good for drying so I put the bike on the workstand and refitted the chain. I use kmc powerlink so both ends of the chain are female links. Whilst pulling the chain through the front mech I noticed something fall from one of the female links which turned out to be its roller. I put it back in place and squeezed the link closed by hand. If I was to use the chain again it would obviously be the kmc between both female links and keeping things closed. AS the roller fell out earlier today , is it still safe for me to use this chain in the way ive described ? A rider I know had a chain failure where he got out of the saddle , the chain broke and the fall resulted in a broken collarbone, so I thought it better to ask rather than ride with a chain which could be prone to something similar.

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    A deep clean after a week?? Why?? And yes it's fine to use.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,173
    the rollers are loose parts, no problem putting one back if it slips out

as long as the kmc link is fitted correctly you'll be fine

unless it was badly contaminated with, say, sand or the black volcanic dust of lanzarote, i would only clean a chain every few months

just lube every so often, if it's looking dirty you can take it off and wipe with a rag to take off surface crud, but no need to do any more than that
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    The park tool chain cleaning machine type devices work well - no need to remove the chain to clean it IMO.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    So after one week you totally washed out all the chain lubricant from between rollers? Why?