Positioning

AK_jnr
AK_jnr Posts: 717
edited June 2015 in Amateur race
Evening!

Ive been racing since 2013. Got out of the 4's in about 6 races and did about 5/10 races last year and 2 so far this year. I suppose looking at it I may now be answering my own question but I just always seem to be at the back!
i dont intentionally intend to but I can just never seem to sit in the bunch. Luckily it hasnt been a problem as I havent been dropped because of it apart from a couple of times in my first year but obviously im not where I need to be come the end of the race. After wednesdays race I even had a guy come up to me asking why I was sat at the back as he was suprised I could keep sprinting back on after each corner.
i suppose I might not be the greatest bike handler but its not the reason Im not where I want to be in the bunch I dont think.

Just had a thought actually. It HAS affected me in a race. My only RR which was at stockdown. I made it over the big climb 3 out of 4 laps but as I was starting the climb at the back the 10m gap at the top meant I didnt have the legs to get back on. Didnt give myself sliding room.

My question is, am I just not really cut out for the rough and tumble of racing or is it something I can learn?

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    It will affect you in every race because you are burning energy you could use attacking plus you will never be in the right place to respond to attacks.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    If you're London-based, why don't you sign up for one of the race preparation sessions that are being held this year at Hillingdon, Cyclopark or Hog Hill? Part of the aim of these sessions is to get riders comfortable in a bunch, not panic at being leaned on a bit, know how to ride safely in close quarters, etc.

While I think some people are just natural at being comfortable "surfing" the bunch and being in the middle of everyone, I do think it's something that can be learned and improved with experience but what's needed is the mental confidence that comes from knowing you are capable of it. So some drills with people leaning on you and knowing you won't crash will help build that.

Personally I don't like being in the middle of a bunch (as in, several deep in riders all around me on all sides), I prefer to be on the edges more, but that's mostly because I want to be able to attack or move up when I see something happening at the front. But you'll never get anywhere in road racing if you can't at least be 4th or 5th wheel on one side or the other... being at the back is just a waste of time and money.