v brake compatible with retro rockshox

HullBorn
HullBorn Posts: 30
edited June 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

This seems like a question I should know the answer to :oops:

I'm looking a replacing the v brakes on a retro Giant Cadex with rockshox mag 21 from suspension.

I've removed the ones that came with the bike, see image below.

brakes-off.jpg

The problem I'm having is all the new v brakes I'm looking at only have small bolts where the ones I removed have long ones that I can't remove.

Do I need v brakes that are compatible, or can you get the longer bolts (I've looked but can't find any)

Thanks

Wayne

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Remove the bolts or buy a new brake...
  • HullBorn
    I'm looking at new brakes these. The bolts seem to be stuck in the brakes. I'm looking for replacements.
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    It appears that the caliper bolts are stuck inside the v-brake bosses and that you have removed them from the forks.

Are there two holes on the front forks where the two bosses (ie pegs) should be?
  • HullBorn
    This is where I'm trying to mount the new v brake calipers

front-view.jpg

shox.jpg
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Unless you get the bosses free you'll need to find new ones of those as well.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    OP, you may be able to salvage the bosses by destructively disassembling the calipers.

Prize and/or cut (parallel to the bolt) away the round plastic housing and metal bushing on each caliper to expose the spanner flats on the boss.

Put the boss into the jaws of a spanner and try to remove the bolt using brute force. If that doesn't work then try heating the bolt head over the flames of a blow torch, gas cooker etc.
  • HullBorn
    bikaholic wrote:
    If that doesn't work then try heating the bolt head over the flames of a blow torch, gas cooker etc.

That worked, glad we've got a gas cooker, it was tough going but got there.

Thanks for the tip :D