Offset rim spoke calcs

munkster
munkster Posts: 819
edited June 2015 in Workshop
So, A23 off-centre rims. If you put the dimensions into a spoke calculator (eg. http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/spokecalc/) is the offset a positive or negative number? A23 has a 3mm offset but if I put 3 into the box that makes the NDS very slightly longer and -3 has no effect vs zero. I would have thought that the offset would make the NDS shorter if anything? Is this just shortcoming of that particular calculator or have I got this wrong?

And secondly, does the offset make any real difference to the spoke lengths anyway? Notice that the DT calc (as far as I can see) doesn't even permit you to enter it...

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    munkster wrote:
    And secondly, does the offset make any real difference to the spoke lengths anyway? Notice that the DT calc (as far as I can see) doesn't even permit you to enter it...

it makes virtually no difference
    left the forum March 2023
  • munkster
    munkster Posts: 819
    Cool. I am guessing there is nothing different required during the build with O/C rims? Apart from the fact that the NDS spokes ought to be at a higher tension than usual when I get to the final final?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    munkster wrote:
    Cool. I am guessing there is nothing different required during the build with O/C rims? Apart from the fact that the NDS spokes ought to be at a higher tension than usual when I get to the final final?

No difference... the spread will be closer to 1 to 1.5 than 1 to 2
    left the forum March 2023