Chainset

sirmol
sirmol Posts: 287
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
I am thinking of changing my chainset - mine is currently a 3/4 years old tiagra set. I am looking at the 105 5800 as the colour matches my bike more than the grey of tiagra. However before i throw £60-70 at it, would i see any performance upgrades from the new one or would it only be aesthetic? Is the difference even noticeable? If it isn't i think i'll leave the bike as it is.
Cheers

Comments

• The only way you would notice any difference would be if the BB is trashed and you fitted a new one with the new chainset, otherwise just looks.
  • sirmol
    The only way you would notice any difference would be if the BB is trashed and you fitted a new one with the new chainset, otherwise just looks.

Cheers - BB looks and feels fine...sadly :D
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    You might get a subtle increase in shifting performance due to the stiffer outer ring, but that's it.
  • blackpoolkev
    blackpoolkev Posts: 474
    The teeth on the cogs of your present chainset may be worn (They will look a bit like a shark's fin rather than a even sided point - worn teeth wears chains). However this can be solved by changing only the cogs.
    The full chainset should only need changing if there is some damage or wear to the body of the crank.(Or you really like the look of one that would suit your bike better!)
  • sirmol
    Cheers guys