Best bike camera......

Cipollini
Cipollini Posts: 255
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
Thinking of investing in a bike camera. Leaning towards the Contour Roam 3 with the Contour Flex Strap, gives you lots of mounting options. Like the look and prefer the shape to the GoPro. (IMO GoPro's are a bit bulky looking on the bike)

Any opinions or other options?

Photos of others mounted on bikes would be good too....

Cheers

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Cipollini wrote:
    GoPro's are a bit bulky looking on the bike

I thought the same but now i love mine to bits!
    If you have a k-edge (below handlebar) mount then you dont notice the camera, and the footage is fantastic.
    My only criticism is having to remove it from the housing to charge after each ride - I wish they had made it waterproof like the Virb so it didnt need the housing!
  • Cipollini
    Cipollini Posts: 255
    How about the Shimano Camera? anyone used that?
  • I had two main considerations - a long battery life and little or no CMOS "wobble". I liked the footage I'd seen that was taken on the Shimano camera, but ultimately I went for the Garmin Virb - the long battery life (3 hours), rainproof, integration with my 800 (both in terms of combining footage with a GPS trace as well as the ability to start and stop the camera from a page on the 800), easy-to-use controls and recent bargain prices were the big plus points. Downsides? It's a bit bulky, already obsoleted and the on-board microphone truly sucks.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Downsides? It's a bit bulky, already obsoleted and the on-board microphone truly sucks.

Thats the problem aint it..? spending £xxx on a setup that 2 months down the line is 'outofdate'.
    Have been using a tiny £20 Ebay camera since last year that has 90 mins life and just about enough quality to justify £20 being spent on it. When rear facing, it has taken some interesting footage .. like who has been sat on my wheel in races for excessive amounts of time.. or even more satisfyingly, who goes backwards on hills ;-)
    When the Garmin is down to £40, I might consider it.
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    www.dogcamsport.co.uk/RePlay-Mini-1080- ... amera.html

Looks great but battery life might not be enough. External battery pack needed for longer rides
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,641
    I bought a SJCam for forty quid. Plus another thirty quid for sd card and two additional batteries. Vid quality is more than adequate, battery life about 90 mins.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Cipollini wrote:
    How about the Shimano Camera? anyone used that?
    Superb bit of kit. Drawback is battery life but ease of use, the wifi app for setup and quality are all very much pros.
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • I got a Sony AS100 after getting tired of the shudder I got with my GoPro. If you put steadyshot on the footage is really good and a lot smoother than the gopro, although I think the picture quality of the GoPro is better.
    Trek Domane 4.3. Merida One.forty 7.700. Merida CX 3. Voodoo Bizango
    "When the vulture flies sideways the moon has hair on his upper lip"
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I have a Virb but if I were buying again, I'd go for the GoPro. I think the image quality is better than the Virb. I wouldn't bother with the Black/ 4k version as the files will end up humungous clogging up hard drives.

Peter
  • Someone,using the cam for other things,is the Virb good for that?

I'm planning to use cam for everything,from bike to holidays and undersea pictures so I'm trying to find something within good price range.
  • I use a VIRB for all sorts of stuff, and it's great for most things. But you'll need the dive case for it if you want to do underwater stuff
  • http://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/604759?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=e-daily_sales.d-20150911.st-UK_EU.m-50PC_EV.a-15_Sales_Friday..%20(1)&utm_content=bestseller1_VIRB%20Action%20Camera

Not sure if the link works, but sign up to Sports Direct, and they have Virb on offer for £80?
  • qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    That SportPursuit deal seems too good to be true...

The cynic in me asks where the catch is?
  • Oh,if only they could deliver to Netherlands :(
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Discontinued I believe - plenty of places selling it for £99...

Still looks a good deal.
  • Just picked up a VIRB for £75 inc next day delivery from IWOOT. Couldn't resist at that price!