How do I remove a SRAM x1 1000 crank arm?

Dadsky
Dadsky Posts: 38
edited June 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I am trying to remove an X1 1000 crank arm, inn order to remove the BB etc. I removed the outer seal nut, 10mm Hex. and tried to pull the arm (mistake as I tore the threads!) I can see that there is an 8mm hex Key on the end of the shaft. But cannot budge that and afraid to put too much force.

The SRAM instructions do not match the arm I am looking at. Here the outer nut, removes the arm...

https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/prod ... c-crankset

The crank is fitted on a 2015 Orange 5 RS and I need to remove the BB to replace the Reverb Stealth hose.

BR Nigel

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The outer 10 is a self extractor. Put the 10 back on, and then undo the 8 - this will butt up against the 10 and pull the crank off.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Dadsky
    Hi Not sure which 8 you mean. The 8 i can see is behind the 10. So, if I put the 10 back in, then I wont be able to access the 8 which is on the end of the shaft opposite the drive side??
  • benpinnick
    Yes you will be able to access the inner bolt... or at least you should be able to - I presume the 10 is just a cap with a 10mm hex that goes straight through? An 8mm allen key will fit (and turn) inside a 10mm hex fitting. The idea is that as you unwind the 8 (inside the 10) the 8 will eventually back up onto the 10, preventing it from exiting further out of the crank arm itself. As its no longer exiting the crank arm, continuing to turn the 8 (and hence the bolt continuing to unwind from the crank axle inside the BB) means that the whole crank arm is forced off the axle instead. Trust me on this one - its a common design used on a lot of cranks. Im assuming a little here but last time I checked SRAM used this system on their cranks.

It may help if you grease the back of the 10 a little to prevent binding.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Dadsky
    Thanks for your help, Ill give it a try today. Is the thread normal direction for loosening? And is it normal that I need to apply significant torque to loosen the 8? The 10 is as you say just a cover....
  • benpinnick
    Yeah the 8mm will be done to 40Nm or something like that... So a large allen key (possibly with additional lever) will be needed.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Dadsky
    Fixed, thank you for your help :D