Garmin 500 Miscellaneous Folders

englander
englander Posts: 232
edited June 2015 in Commuting chat
I have a query which hopefully the BR hive mind will be able to help me with (not entirely sure of the best subforum to post this, but I reckon a lot of commuters have experience with Edge 500).

2 things:

1. Every time to plug my 500 into my Windows 7 PC, it comes up with the 'error' "Do you want to scan and fix your Garmin Edge 500?". Regardless of whether I proceed with the scanning and fixing, or choose to continue without scanning, it still comes up every time I plug it in. Anyone had any similar problem?

2. See image:

GpaaDMul.png

What are these random extra folders doing (_######_)? They are created automatically, are all empty, and come back if I delete them. They seem to be breeding, as there used to only be a couple.

Thanks
Specialized Allez 2010
Strava

Comments

• dee4life2005
    dee4life2005 Posts: 773
    I have these "random" folders too ... I suspect they are something to do with yearly data, as a new one seems to pop up every year.

I too get the error message when plugging my device in. I haven't noticed a problem with the device thus far in 3 years of use. It's probably because I just unplug it without using the "safely remove hardware" icon in the bottom-right corner beside the system clock - I believe you're supposed to use that before removing a usb device. Maybe give that a try if it's bothering you.
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    I think the scan and fix error is pretty universal to USB storage. I get it on multiple PCs on my phone and USB drives as well. I say no and ignore it myself.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Don't worry about it, just more windows BS
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • englander
    englander Posts: 232
    I too get the error message when plugging my device in. I haven't noticed a problem with the device thus far in 3 years of use. It's probably because I just unplug it without using the "safely remove hardware" icon in the bottom-right corner beside the system clock - I believe you're supposed to use that before removing a usb device. Maybe give that a try if it's bothering you.

Just tried that with no joy.

These issues fall distinctly under the 'mild annoyance' category - it appears that I'm not the only one who has these features and I suppose I'll carry on ignoring them like I've done for the past while.
    Specialized Allez 2010
    Strava