Roof rack lock advice please.

shortcuts
shortcuts Posts: 366
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
Going to Ypres, Belgium soon (by car) and taking two bikes on the roof (Thule). Ordinarily our bikes are never out of our sight so we don't own bike locks of any description.
Any advice for a bike lock(s) to secure the bikes to the roof which will only be out of our sight on the ferry crossing but can then double up as security to lock both bikes (together?) whilst we are wandering around cemeteries/battle fields/memorials etc when they will be out of our sight?
Any and all advice gratefully received.

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    shortcuts wrote:
    Going to Ypres, Belgium soon (by car) and taking two bikes on the roof (Thule). Ordinarily our bikes are never out of our sight so we don't own bike locks of any description.
    Any advice for a bike lock(s) to secure the bikes to the roof which will only be out of our sight on the ferry crossing but can then double up as security to lock both bikes (together?) whilst we are wandering around cemeteries/battle fields/memorials etc when they will be out of our sight?

For that I'd suggest a cable lock - will stop opportunists and not be too heavy to carry on the bike, possibly in conjunction with a U-lock. Something like this

Magnum Plus Bicycle Armoured Cable Lock 110CM HLK305

Don't expect it to resist bolt croppers though.
  • shortcuts
    rafletcher wrote:
    shortcuts wrote:

For that I'd suggest a cable lock - will stop opportunists and not be too heavy to carry on the bike, possibly in conjunction with a U-lock. Something like this

Magnum Plus Bicycle Armoured Cable Lock 110CM HLK305

Don't expect it to resist bolt croppers though.
    Interesting. But as reviewed on Bike Radar:
    BikeRadar verdict
    Completely unrelaible bike cable

Also for using on the roof rack it will need to be quite long to go around the bikes and rack. Won't it?
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    I saw that review - and it was as crap a piece of reporting as it say the lock is! I wouldn't expect ANY cable lock to be resistant to bolt croppers / angle grinders. As I said it deters opportunists. But hey, there are others out there, you can search for yourself. But for securing bikes to racks cables work, as do chains, but chains are waaay to heavy to tote around. Buy two cable locks - one for each bike. Then use two to lock them together on your touring, through front and back wheel.

And get decent insurance :-)
  • shortcuts
    rafletcher wrote:
    I saw that review - and it was as crap a piece of reporting as it say the lock is! I wouldn't expect ANY cable lock to be resistant to bolt croppers / angle grinders. As I said it deters opportunists. But hey, there are others out there, you can search for yourself. But for securing bikes to racks cables work, as do chains, but chains are waaay to heavy to tote around. Buy two cable locks - one for each bike. Then use two to lock them together on your touring, through front and back wheel.

And get decent insurance :-)
    Understood. Wasn't being unappreciative of your advice. Just thought it was amusing that the first recommendation on here was reviewed as indicated. It is only the opportunist I am attempting to deter with this