Cube Acid 2015 vs Vitus Sentier VR

Cyph3rs
Cyph3rs Posts: 69
edited June 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hey all, I've asked on another forum and got no help at all...

I'm getting a new bike (I haven't rode in years and years) primarily it'll be for trial riding (semi-aggressively, but nothing overly insane, I'm a beginner after all) in the UK however I'll be doing a fair bit of local road riding (for exercise).

I've narrowed my choices down to these:

Cube Acid 27.5 2015
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube ... prod125726

or

Vitus Sentier VR 2015
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitu ... prod120721

Now from what I understand, the Vitus has better forks (ignoring the travel difference, the M30's on the Acid are based off the R7 from what I can gather), the Vitus also has a better rear mech (clutch), but am I right in saying the brakes are better on the Cube Acid?

Is there anything else I'm missing (or got completely wrong)?
How much of a difference is 100mm vs 140mm really?
And is there a clear winner between these two bikes?

Any help is much appreciated! I'm really struggling to decide!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Very different bikes, the Cube is a cross country bike, will climb well and tackle downhills 'OK', the Vitus is a much harder hitting bike, it will revel in going down but the slacker geometry will make it less willing to climb and it will be harder work on longer rides.

What do you actually want to use the bike for?

The M30 is not an R7 as such, it is based on the R7 (26 and 27.5) but with some parts (probably the dampers) from lesser models to reduce cost, it is for OEM use only (though some sneak out), for a 29er it is a rebadged Marvel Comp and not an R7. (info from Manitou tech support via MTBR forums).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cyph3rs
    The Rookie wrote:
    Very different bikes, the Cube is a cross country bike, will climb well and tackle downhills 'OK', the Vitus is a much harder hitting bike, it will revel in going down but the slacker geometry will make it less willing to climb and it will be harder work on longer rides.

What do you actually want to use the bike for?

The M30 is not an R7 as such, it is based on the R7 (26 and 27.5) but with some parts (probably the dampers) from lesser models to reduce cost, it is for OEM use only (though some sneak out), for a 29er it is a rebadged Marvel Comp and not an R7. (info from Manitou tech support via MTBR forums).

Yeah that's pretty much what I guessed they were suited for.

Well as I said I'll be hitting up trails fairly regularly and I'd like something to take me up-to intermediate-ish trails. But I'll also be using the bike in the week for rides around the local area just for exercise sake, (no trails to speak of, well, there are a couple of very very light ones, so will mostly be on the road). Also might attempt biking to work - 6 miles.

So it's not particularly a case of one bike being much better than the other, it's just what they're going to be used for?

Also Re: The forks, yeah thats the same information I read as well.
  • The Rookie
    For that usage I'd go with a trail friendly hardtail, probably circa 120mm travel like a Boardman, it won't loose out much on the flat or level compared to that Cube but will be a bit friendlier descending.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cyph3rs
    The Rookie wrote:
    For that usage I'd go with a trail friendly hardtail, probably circa 120mm travel like a Boardman, it won't loose out much on the flat or level compared to that Cube but will be a bit friendlier descending.

Unfortunately I really need to get it from Chain Reaction/Tredz (0% 12 month finance), I know this is generally a no-no but could I upgrade the Cube to a 120mm fork in the future when I start using it for trails that would benefit from the longer travel?

Would the Vitus really be that bad for climbing?
  • The Rookie
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPWX5/o ... ntain-bike
    With interest free credit.

On steeper hills the slacker head angle of the Vitus will have it wandering around like a drunk on a Saturday night.
  • Cyph3rs
    The Rookie wrote:
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPWX5/on-one-parkwood-sram-x5-mountain-bike
    With interest free credit.

On steeper hills the slacker head angle of the Vitus will have it wandering around like a drunk on a Saturday night.

That Parkwood looks decent, if only it was a 650b, not a fan of 29ers! Also, no stock til late June, need a bike before then! (also checked out the finance options and they all seem to have interest?)

Ah, I can't imagine I'll be tackling anything overly steep to be fair, but I guess I'll cross off the Vitus then.