Derailleur disaster

es330
es330 Posts: 46
edited June 2015 in Workshop
Earlier my 2010 2.3 Trek rear derailleur appeared to explode on me!

The cage plate ended up bent beyond all recognition, semi-lodging itself into the cassette.

Snapped hanger?

The other mystery is the two snapped bits of Bontrager plastics component that found their way in between the cassette and the wheel. One bit says 57-58mm.

Looking at the damage to the cage, would this be a whole new derailleur to be replaced? One of the chain links is broken also. New chain and cassette? :o(
Trek 2.3 2010

Comments

• trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    You'll need a new hanger if it has snapped. And most likely a new rear derailleur and chain as they probably got twisted. Its not worth the risk of it happening again. Keep the old jockey wheels and bolts for spares as long as they are not damaged. The cassette is probably still OK but Its worth checking for any noticeably bent teeth (some teeth are slightly bent to aid shifting).

No idea what the bontrager plastic bits are. Is it a dork disc ?
  • robbohenn
    robbohenn Posts: 26
    Happened to me a few weeks ago too. Mine was under power when I thought chain came off! Broken chain,
    spoke, hanger and dérailleur. As mine's campag. triple, took a while to get all the parts. Only just getting it all together. Fun starts trying to adjust rd I suppose.