Trek 3700 cable disc problem

jordi555
jordi555 Posts: 3
edited June 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, been having issues with both the front and rear brake cables slipping through the saddle on the callipers.
I physically cannot tighten them any further, any ideas how to fix this ?

It's my 11yr old son's bike which he has pretty much grown out of, he is still wanting to ride it until August when he might be getting a new ride...so I don't want to spend much on it.

If the braided brake cable was a bit bigger diameter I'm sure the problem would be solved but I don't think there is such a thing as an over sized cable.

Short of tying a knot in the end of the cable, I've run out of ideas..help!

Comments

• bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    Please post some pictures showing the problem.

Take one establishing shot of the whole bike so that we know the relative positions of the malfunctioning components followed by close-ups of said components.

Put your camera into macro mode when taking close-ups. Also, take lots and only post the best ones - there is no excuse for blurred or poorly lit pictures in this day and age of digital photography.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Maybe the bolt is not clamping properly, remove the cable and make sure the bolt will do up all the way without binding.

Never ever had an issue like this, so it suggests a defect in the setup, someone hasn't used a thinner gear cable instead of a brake cable?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jordi555
    jordi555 Posts: 3
    Thanks for the replies, but I managed to sort this yesterday evening.
    I carefully filed away part of the groove where the cable sits, thus giving the cable clamp much more purchase.
    The groove was too deep, so no matter how hard I tightened it up it was always going to slip.
    The cable were proper brake cables btw.

Might post a pic or two when I get chance. :D