Supersix tyre clearance

andy777
andy777 Posts: 45
edited June 2018 in Road general
Hi,

I have a 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 105.

I thought I would try some 25mm tyres, so fitted a pair of Conti grand prix 4000s IIs. They touch the chainstays by the bb! no clearance.

Putting the 23mm tyres back on there is only about 1.5-2 mm Clearance either side and they still rub slightly when sprinting.

Anyone had a similar experience??

Cheers Andy

Comments

• Have you considered not sprinting?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    There isn't loads of clearance so I am sticking with narrower tyres.

I think mine at 20mm or 23mm.

I wanted 25s for RVV but they were just too wide.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Sadly your frame was designed before they started to consider wider tyres / rims desirable on race bikes. Were you buying now you'd have choice from a wide range of bikes with clearance for up to 28mm tyres...
  • andy777
    Yes that's true keef. It's just even with 23,s they rub, just, and that's with a stiff wheel set.
    With the stock rs501 wheels the paint would be worn off the chain stays by now!
    Seems odd to design a frame which is that tight. My other bikes have loads of clearance and the supersix is the newest.
  • andy777
    The paint has worn off the chain stays now! Im using a 23mm tyre. I've emailed Cannonade twice. No response.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Is it on both sides or just one? Sometimes the dropouts can be slightly off resulting in the wheel being misaligned (paint build-up can cause this). Alternatively if the wheel isn't dished so that the rim is central to the hub end caps this can also be a problem.
    If it's both sides then you are either putting out a lot of power when sprinting or the preload on your wheel bearings could need adjusting
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    I have a 2014 supersix evo hi-mod and have no issues at all with 25mm (michelin pro 4's) on Reynold Assaults. There is still reasonable clearance
  • andy777
    Its about 2.5mm both sides with a continental 23mm
  • I've emailed Cannonade twice. No response.

You need to take it up with the retailer, not Cannondale
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • jif1969
    jif1969 Posts: 29
    I've recently swapped over to 25mm Schwalbe Ones on rims with 17mm internal and 25mm external width on my 2012 Supersix and there are no issues with clearance, in fact about 4-5mm on either side.

Either your contis come up extremely large for a 23 or something's not right with your frame or wheel, in which case take it up with the retailer.
  • andy777
    Got a reply from Cannonade, they say it should be 4-6mm clearance.

Its going to get looked at Monday.

Its my travel bike so always packed up. hence a pain to assemble to take to the bike shop. I emailed Cannonade as I thought there may have been a know issue with this frame.
  • andy777
    So my bike was sent back to the dealer with the reason for the rub as riding with a loose skewer! Even though I tried it with 3 different tyre /wheel/skewer combos and they all rub. Nothing mentioned about the lack of clearance. Even though Cannondale told me it should be 4-6mm and its only 2mm.
    It's gone back to Cannondale.

Not happy.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    The is nothing Cannondale can or will do, wast of time.
    Stick with tyres and wheels that work.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    The is nothing Cannondale can or will do, wast of time.
    Stick with tyres and wheels that work.

Well, if the OP is correct, there aren't any. And, ultimately, whilst the redress may be with the retailer, this is how this story pans out each time. Cannonade will determine whether it's an issue and, if it is, they will replace the frame. OP, keep us posted.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • andy777
    Update.

I got a refund today. The retailer was very helpful. Basically Cannonade didn't want to admit there was anything wrong but they offered the retailer a credit on the bike, hence the refund from the retailer.
    it was worth the perseverance.

Andy
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Must have been an issue with the frame.

I run 25mm contis on a set of Ksyriums and 25mm Tubulars on wide section Planet X CT45's on my 2014 YM evo six and have no problems with clearance on either.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    Update.

I got a refund today. The retailer was very helpful. Basically Cannonade didn't want to admit there was anything wrong but they offered the retailer a credit on the bike, hence the refund from the retailer.
    it was worth the perseverance.

Andy

Result. Good for you for persevering and a thumbs up for Cannondale for sorting it.
  • mikesm08
    mikesm08 Posts: 2
    After reading this forum, I want to ask, do you guys think I could fit a 25mm clincher on to this rim profile and squeese into my SSevo 2014 52cm? https://ibb.co/fKD0Xy
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    You're pushing it a bit. I can run 25s on Pacenti rims OK with 20mm internal width but wider tyres (or Conti 25s) would likely be a no-go.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • gary_sparrow
    gary_sparrow Posts: 181
    andy777 wrote:
    Hi,

I have a 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 105.

I thought I would try some 25mm tyres, so fitted a pair of Conti grand prix 4000s IIs. They touch the chainstays by the bb! no clearance.

Putting the 23mm tyres back on there is only about 1.5-2 mm Clearance either side and they still rub slightly when sprinting.

Anyone had a similar experience??

Cheers Andy

What size was the cannondale ? Ive read that the tyre clearance on the supersix can go up and down with the size of frame .