Pedals size

javidr
javidr Posts: 133
edited June 2015 in The workshop
Hi

I have bought a new pair of pedals for my Trek 7.3 FX. They are Wellgo M20 model. I have installed those and i feel like the pedal area is much smaller than the previous pedal, It says that the size is 101*63*24 mm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wellgo-Aluminum ... B005NGE1MY

I feel like i cant put too much power in those pedals as in the previous pedals (it was the standard pedal that came with the bike).

Are those pedals really smaller than a regular pedal? Does it make any sense or am i just getting crazy because i see those pedals smaller? It says that it is a standard pedal

Thanks

Thanks

Comments

• imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    if you are find your foot bending round the edges of the pedal and aching after a ride you are half way towards riding with cleats :-) You can definitely buy larger platforms than those pedals than the ones pictured - but I wouldn't say there was a "standard size" for the pedal platform.

Even with platform pedals and toe clips have you tried a more supportive/stiff soled shoe? I use asphalt football boots (when I have to - most of the time I use cleats) - they are made to fit and support the arch, have a good grip and a stiff sole. Otherwise the more expensive alternative is to buy trail shoes (shimano mt44 etc) and not put the cleats in and use them on platforms.
  • javidr
    javidr Posts: 133
    Thanks for the answer.

I am wearing the same shoes i was before (running shoes).

What worry is to understand if that pedal size, which is smaller, could end in applying less power to the crank. Physical laws say so, but, i am not expert on that...

Thanks
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    Not an expert here either, but the power from your leg is the same - the difference is the loss in the flexing of your foot & shoe sole. Thus the answer should be stiffer shoes or foot sized pedals.

Assuming no loss in the flexing of the shoe sole - the effect will be that you deliver the power through a smaller area (smaller pedal) so there is more (dynamic) pressure on the contact area of your foot.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Pedal size clearly doesn't affect power, no physical law says that!

If it were true racers would be on full foot sized pedals!

If your foot muscles are having to fight any bending effect, then they will fatigue and can cause pain, but that isn't a small pedal, though bigger are available. Running shoes have quite a flexible sole, a more general use training shoe with a thicker stiffer sole would probably help.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.