2.3" on the front, 2.1" rear?

jamski
jamski Posts: 737
edited June 2015 in MTB general
Have decided on what bike I'm getting, so this isn't going to change anything, but just noticed it comes with a 2.3" tyre on the front and a 2.1" on the rear. Having a look around it looks like this is something that people choose to do for various reasons, but looking at new bikes it seems unusual to buy them set up this way.

I'm happy to try it and see how it goes, tyres are relatively cheap in the grand scheme of things. Just wondered how people set up their tyres and thoughts on it really.
Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    jamski wrote:
    Have decided on what bike I'm getting, so this isn't going to change anything, but just noticed it comes with a 2.3" tyre on the front and a 2.1" on the rear. Having a look around it looks like this is something that people choose to do for various reasons, but looking at new bikes it seems unusual to buy them set up this way.

I'm happy to try it and see how it goes, tyres are relatively cheap in the grand scheme of things. Just wondered how people set up their tyres and thoughts on it really.

Theoretically a bigger tyre on the front gives better grip where you need it and less rolling resistance where you want it. There is also something about helping the bike turn, which I guess gets you to the old Big Hit's with the smaller wheel at the rear in its extreme.

I certainly wouldn't worry about it and half of the new bikes in the world have such low end tyres they need replacing early on anyway.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    jamski wrote:

Theoretically a bigger tyre on the front gives better grip where you need it and less rolling resistance where you want it. There is also something about helping the bike turn, which I guess gets you to the old Big Hit's with the smaller wheel at the rear in its extreme.

I certainly wouldn't worry about it and half of the new bikes in the world have such low end tyres they need replacing early on anyway.

Thanks. They've changed the tyres and I've ordered, pick up in a week. I'm not fussed what they come with, either options looks like it'll do me.

Thanks.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    The whole front wheel grip and low rolling resistance is true, but I have found that with a smaller rear tire bumps feel much harsher as there is less cushioning as you often have to pump up smaller tyres harder to prevent flats.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Cqc wrote:
    The whole front wheel grip and low rolling resistance is true, but I have found that with a smaller rear tire bumps feel much harsher as there is less cushioning as you often have to pump up smaller tyres harder to prevent flats.

Largely this. I've run smaller rear before but had the same size from and rear for a while. Went back to a smaller tyre on the back of the Foxy and I've gone back to same size as it did feel a little harsher. Think from now on I'll stick to same size front and rear and just stick a fast rolling rear on in summer.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    lawman wrote:
    Cqc wrote:

Largely this. I've run smaller rear before but had the same size from and rear for a while. Went back to a smaller tyre on the back of the Foxy and I've gone back to same size as it did feel a little harsher. Think from now on I'll stick to same size front and rear and just stick a fast rolling rear on in summer.

Oh yeah - I don't run a smaller rear tyre - its a dumb idea, I was just saying why it might be thought not a dumb idea!

I have a 2.4 rear and 2.3 front as it happens.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not a dumb idea, it works for many people, just because it doesn't work for you, doesn't make it dumb!

I nearly always run a narrower rear, usually a 2.1 or 2.15 versus a 2.25 front, sometimes when it's really muddy I have a 1.8" mud on the back then I don't have to stop when everyone else spins to a halt (unless the sods do it right in front of me).

Right tyres for the right conditions and that includes width.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Slightly thinner rear usually helps cut into whatever your riding on unless its tarmac and gives more grip with a wider front it can help with turn in grip and a larger volume tyre can help when trying to pump the front adding a bit more squidge as it were.
    Used to run 2.4s front and rear gone to a 2.25 on the rear generally feels faster but as Rookie said some people it works the other way or with tyres the same size front an rear. There's no magic formula just personal preference.
  • JayKay3000
    JayKay3000 Posts: 163
    I used to have a grippier front tire and less grippy rear because I rather the rear slips than the front. Narrower tires will make the bike turn better, but at the expense of grip in certain situations.

I think it's an effort by companies to give you the best of both worlds out the gate, but then if you're in thick mud with a slow tire you're probably not going to notice the drag as you might be going slower anyway rather than a fast roller with no grip in the same conditions. Some people prefer a looser rear due to their riding style, others like the rock solid feel of both ends. I think most people worry about their front end not gripping as it's a point of confidence when dropping into a trail and theoretically a loose rear is easier to save than face planting a loose front.

Tyres cheap? Kind of true, but it does get expensive if you start buying loads of sets and the more expensive tyres are made of different compounds to try and grip to wet rocks and the dreaded wet root.