Which Schwalbe Marathon for my bike?

adri123
adri123 Posts: 32
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi

I have the Decathlon Triban 500SE.

I go on tracks that cause punctures. I had two yesterday on one ride! So I'm going to get some Marathon Plus tyres for the bike. On the Decathlon website it says that the bike is fitted with Hutchinson Equinox 23mm wide. The narrowest Marathon Plus seems to be 25mm. Will they fit?

Thanks for any advice.

Adri

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Yes they will fit.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    "Hello,
    It does depend on the brand and you also need to consider the fact that tyres do stretch a little over time. The bike is fitted with 23mm tyres as standard but it will accept 25mm profile tyres. 28mm can fit but not recommended as the clearance between the frame and tyre is too small.
    At the point of sale you need 3.5mm clearance between the tyres and the frame/points of contact to conform to EU regulations.
    I hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Peter Lazarus UK Cycling Market Manager DECATHLON"
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    the marathon pluses are good tires, but they are touring tyres and as such are heavy lumpen feeling tyres.

there is durano plus which is the road version which would seem a better fit, they are lighter faster tyres though the protection is not as thick as the Marathon's.

But they are still very puncture resistant.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    adri123 wrote:
    Hi

The narrowest Marathon Plus seems to be 25mm. Will they fit?

Adri

Yes they will fit but whether you can fit them depends upon how good you are at putting on tyres. Some people find them very difficult. There is a video at the bottom of the page giving some instruction.

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/

I use them for commuting and they are good for puncture resistance. As noted above they are not fast but I as I am just riding to work I don't try to ride fast just tap out 16 mph on the flat.