Haggling a deal on £2k cash payment advice

neilus
neilus Posts: 245
edited June 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hiya
Just arrived in saalbach to hopefully pick up a new Giant Reign 2, which I'll be paying for in cash, rrp €2400. Obviously I'll try and wrangle a good deal, I reckon I'll have a better chance of getting some freebies chucked in rather than getting them to knock some money off. If I can grab some gear to the value of €100 - 150 then I'd be happy. Or maybe more? Or go for the cash reduced option?
I have no idea of what margins they'd be making per unit so I have no idea how flexible they can be with the price...
Whaddya reckon?
Cheers!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Normal retailer markup is circa 30% over wholesale, out of that they have to pay their costs but will probably be running an operating profit of circa 6-10%, on that basis look for a circa 5% 'gain', of course if it's in accessories they will only have paid circa 75% of the marked up price.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    My LBS give 10% back in vouchers. I got £200 in vouchers plus a £250 lupine light (through a Specialized promo) when I bought my Enduro.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    In the UK at least a debit card is the cheapest way to receive payments, so "how much for cash" doesn't fly.

10% the value of the bike in bits isn't unreasonable, so €200-€250 of stuff or so, depending what it is.
  • neilus
    Cheers guys! Unfortunately didnt get one! The Reign 2 is basically a downhill bike but with small concessions to enduro design, meaning its probably less of a pain in the ass to ride up than a Glory. It was just too much for my riding style and the trails i mostly ride...maybe in few years!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    No its not even close to a DH bike. I test rode one and a couple mates own them. It's an excellent enduro bike, climbs really well and goes down like a beast. It climbs just as well as any other enduro bike (better than a lot).
    Have you ridden one?
  • neilus
    Yeah and didnt like it at all. At 175cm/72kg i guess im borderline small/medium. Took the medium and it was like trying to control a wayward battleship. Cornering was an exhausting nightmare. The guys in the shop all of whom had ridden lots of Trances/Reigns all said the same thing, it needs to be pushed steep and fast and then bam, it roars into life. I took it on the Milka trail (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V7fHOxeC_I) in Saalbach which is a blue/easy run and the guys said thats not gonna bring out the best/beast of the bike.
    Next day I took a medium Trance 3 and although the spec wasnt great I could feel immediately that the overall geometry was much more all-mountain friendly. It was fun, could hold my lines much tighter, encouraged me to try some wee drop offs etc...none of which i felt comfortable with on the Reign.
    So I reckon its gonna be a Trance. I wish id had the chance to try a small Reign as the medium felt f'ing HUGE. Bear in mind ive been on a small Scott Spark for 2 years, a tight little XC bike from 4 years ago.
  • rockmonkeysc
    If you're going to ride blue trails then it is the wrong bike but blue is hardly enduro style trails.
    You need to be riding reds/blacks to make it work. Still a long way from a DH bike.
    My mates who have them do everything from long distance (80km+) xc rides to enduro racing on theirs.
    It sounds like the Trance or Anthem SX would be much better for you.
  • neilus
    You said before you didnt rate the Trance SX, what exactly was the problem? The guy in the shop had an old SX and said he loved it but got a new Reign when he'd outgrown it. He reckoned it sits between the Trance and Reign...
  • rockmonkeysc
    The standard Trance rides better than the SX. If you didn't like the way the Reign steers then you will hate the Trance SX. The longer fork raises the BB and makes it fall in to turns awkwardly. I was going to buy one until I test rode it and didn't like it at all. It would probably make a reasonable slopestyle bike.
    If you're riding blue and red trails the Trance will be brilliant , you won't be needing a 160mm fork.
  • neilus
    Cheers, this is the run I was doing all afternoon on the Trance
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDLOomUMpr8
    Had a blast, 140mm was fine, some parts of the run were pretty steep and rooty, but i went down them no worries. I wouldn't have been so confident with the 120mm recons on my Spark.
    Saalbach is an awesome place. They have this special offer which is just ridiculous - http://www.saalbach.at/en/summer/the-va ... -card.html
    Basically as long as your b&b is affiliated (99% are) you get this free and can use the 4 skilifts without paying a penny, all day, as many times as you want. Ive never come across such a good deal!!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Other than just after the road, I think 120mm would have coped with all that without issue (maybe not with a Recon!).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    That trail would be awesome fun on a slack, short travel trail bike. Something like a Nukeproof Mega TR, Transition Scout or Kona Process 134 would be perfect. The Trance would also be great fun.
    Around 120/130mm rear and 140/150mm front with a 66/67 degree head angle.