Single chainring

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited June 2015 in Workshop
Im only using my road bike for commuting and since I never used the smaller chain ring when I replaced the rest of the transmission I ditched the front mech, cable and small chainring.
I now have a 50t with 11-26t cassette and a Sora mech. Unfortunately the chain keeps falling off when shifting to the smaller end of the cassette. Is there a cure for this?
I use a single ring set up on my mountain bike but clutched derailleurs and narrow / wide chainrings which make that work don't appear to be available for road bikes.
Is there anything I can do to make it work?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The lack of a front mech shouldn't mean the chain suddenly starts dropping off the chainring, especially at the smaller end of the cassette where the chainline should be better. I can use the whole cassette when in the big ring on both my bikes without any chain rub suggesting it's not the front mech cage keeping the chain on the chainring.

Is your chain as short as it can be? Is it badly worn? Ditto the chainring? Any bent or missing teeth? Does the rear mech seem to be holding the chain under sufficient tension?

Does it only drop the chain when going over particularly rough patches, or can it happen at any time?
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    a few options:

- switch the outer chainring to inside the mount points instead of outside (this may not be possible on for example current shimano 11 speed chainsets with odd hollow chainrings) - this will give a better chain line
    - leave the front mech on (no cable), adjust the limit screws so the mech helps keep the chain on
    - switch to a track chainring that has no aids on the teeth to help change gear (assuming one with the correct BCD is available)
    - possibly resize the chain
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Singlespeed or 3/32" track chainring have non-profiled teeth and will hold the chain better, or you can get some CX narrow-wide chainrings in bigger sizes now.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    SRAM are coming out with a 1x road system. Doesn't help you now of course.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Thanks for the tips. Looks like the chain is pretty ropey, as a commuter bike it just gets neglected until things break.
    Might look for a different chain ring. Any suggestions for a good but cheap one?