Angry Bird's not road bikes

angry_bird
angry_bird Posts: 3,786
edited July 2015 in Your mountain bikes
My HT. Took me ages to get a 29er, finally got this about three years ago, BMC Team Elite, chosen because it was good value for money at the time plus an extra load of cash off for taking a wreck of a BSO down to Evans as a trade in :lol:

I like it, even more so since I popped some XT tubeless wheels in there.

18401405916_77e8e32500_c.jpg
18240114550_9a096c8f99_c.jpg
43473243715_ddc9d61b46_b.jpg

Then there's the bouncy bike. Got this cheap in January 2018, wanted something that I could have in the van while I was at work and just go play around and have some fun on when the opportunities arose.

28987536968_8deebcd255_h.jpg

Finally, my current favourite. Niner RLT9. I've had this for a while not put it to that much use until I moved back to Waleshire, where there is an abundance of bridleways and tracks out of in the middle of nowhere. Nothing fancy, mix of 105 and Ultra components, hydro brakes- they're big and ugly but really nice to ride with and very adjustable. Bit of bikepacking with this one too.

30512860048_1fbac6546a_b.jpg
[44380240071_6d4d908d65_h.jpg

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    That looks rather racey!! BMC make some nice looking bikes though, sure you'll love that!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    lawman wrote:
    That looks rather racey!! BMC make some nice looking bikes though, sure you'll love that!

This, nice looking machine.. personally I like a bike like a sofa but I bet this thing covers ground in a rapid manner!
  • Congrats that is a great looking bike !!
  • angry_bird
    Thanks! Loving it so far, yes it is a pretty racey bike, quite a step away from my last bike, but it suits me at the moment so I'm happy. I like bikes that allow me to climb well and make descending, not necessarily fast... (although I don't tend to go slow, but I can't see this being as quick as the EG :lol: )... but keep it interesting and challenging.

Nothing, for me at least, beats taking on technical stuff on a bike like this. It's even a little slacker than my old hardtail which I rather hotheadedly used to take on everything with. Been all over the Peaks on it, spent far too long at Cannock and Brenin. It's handled the Twins and the Slab at Dalbeattie (although I seem to remember the qualifier being worse), it left some paint behind on black route up at Kirroughtree and has been well and truly abused all around the Dyfi forest. It's earned its retirement.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Nice looking bike that.

Did you compare it to something like a trek superfly?

I've seen quite a few of these racy 29ers about and its got me interested in them, as I do more xc based riding, I'm wondering if to get something like one of these rather than a full suspension.
  • angry_bird
    Thanks

I looked at a few bikes between about £1500 and £3000, was happy to spend up to that but ended up with this. Others I was looking at were the Superfly series, tried a Stumpjumper but wasn't overly keen, was very tempted by a Niner Air 9 Carbon too, but at the end of the day this one just appealed to me more. Was tempted by the XT version but for £700 more for the sake of some lighter wheels and the XT over SLX I'm not that fussed by it really. I've got my old hubs lying around waiting to be rebuilt into some lighter weight wheels anyway, and the money I've saved can be used for other things.
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    njee's got a superfly thread somewhere on here. I like the look of the superflys, slacker head angle than normal

That BMC looks nice too mind!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Ferrals wrote:
    njee's got a superfly thread somewhere on here. I like the look of the superflys, slacker head angle than normal

That BMC looks nice too mind!

He's right, I was just quoting your question about them. I love mine, it's my only MTB, so does everything I do.

BMC looks great OP.
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    Great bike.
    After a few weeks of riding it do you still think it is a good choice?

What saddle have you got? Have you managed to put it on the scales yet?
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • angry_bird
    I'm using a Selle Italia SLR Flow, it's a saddle I've found to be really comfortable for me so now it's all I use. After a couple of weeks, loving it still! Happy with the decision, not overly keen on the width of the bars, may take an inch or so off each end.

Not sure on the weight if I'm completely honest, I'm told the frames come in around about 1150g but that's all I know. There's plenty to be lost from the wheels though, I can tell you that much! A lighter wheelset + tubeless should make a noticable difference.
  • fevmeister
    fevmeister Posts: 353
    edited March 2021
    ytt
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    I'm using a Selle Italia SLR Flow, it's a saddle I've found to be really comfortable for me so now it's all I use. After a couple of weeks, loving it still! Happy with the decision, not overly keen on the width of the bars, may take an inch or so off each end.

Not sure on the weight if I'm completely honest, I'm told the frames come in around about 1150g but that's all I know. There's plenty to be lost from the wheels though, I can tell you that much! A lighter wheelset + tubeless should make a noticable difference.

Thanks for the saddle comment. Did you manage to get a new wheelset & convert to tubeless?
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • Lush. Looks rapid just standing still.
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • angry_bird

Thanks for the saddle comment. Did you manage to get a new wheelset & convert to tubeless?

Not yet, started a new job which sees me split my time between Hertfordshire and Wales, which is taking some getting used to, then on top of that the hubs I want to get rebuilt are up in the midlands so they've been put on a back-burner for now.