Jurgen Van den Broeck Vs Lotto

disgruntledgoat
disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
edited June 2015 in Pro race
Few articles in the Belgian press this morning reporting a rather unseemly public spat between JVDB and Lotto.

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/sportwereld/cnt/dmf20150602_01709831

Marc Sergent kicked it off by saying that 12th place was not acceptable and that with such a hard Giro, everybody placed where they deserved.

His coach says that the team favoured Monfort over him and set him up to fail throughout the Giro, didn't protect him on the Mortirolo stage when he was running 5th. Claims the team have no confidence in him and he should have left 2 years ago. He rather baldly ended by saying that the relationship between Lotto and VDB is over.

He also claims that VDB had to fund and organise his own altitude training camp and pay for a physio to attend the Giro.
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I have followed this for a while too.

JvdB has a rep for being difficult, and this is only reinforcing that.

Marc has given JvdB a lot of room and rope and more than enough chances.

JvdB should shut up, join a smaller team and earn his money through results.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I agree totally with Rick on this.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    ZUPER-16182_zpsfc480ab0.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    one does get the feeling that the teams that can afford the structured altitude training schedules get out front.

I was expecting more but he faded badly
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • frenchfighter
    To be fair he has finished 8 GTs and his results are 4 top tens and 3 top 15s. And all this more or less by himself.

So he has got an excellent palmares in GTs as far as riders who are not GT win contenders go. For instance it is miles and miles better than Porte's. He also doesn't have any team support.

So in short, although I dislike him and have read comments from him that I think were poor, he still has decent results.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    OT but, shadow rider Zubeldia has been racing GTs since 2000 and has completed 21. 15 of those are from 4th to 15th. Impressive.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • disgruntledgoat
    1professional victory since 2007 suggests he may struggle with Rick's suggestion
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    1professional victory since 2007 suggests he may struggle with Rick's suggestion

Top 10 GC riders can make a living hoovering up points.

Another option is to go ride in support of someone else.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791

Need the right mindset I'm thinking for that superdomestique thing but its a good living
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey

Need the right mindset I'm thinking for that superdomestique thing but its a good living

Staring at your dwindling bank balance is usually pretty good for getting you into the right mindset...
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    He is a bizarre case really. J VdB reached a certain level of performance and looked like kicking on but became obsessed with being a grand tour contender to the detriment of being a bike racer.

Lotto seem to have had a few like that.
  • disgruntledgoat
    He is a bizarre case really. J VdB reached a certain level of performance and looked like kicking on but became obsessed with being a grand tour contender to the detriment of being a bike racer.

Lotto seem to have had a few like that.

One Cadel Evans springs to mind

@gietvangent