Training rides around buckinghamshire

mincepies
mincepies Posts: 15
I was hoping a few cyclists would be able to join me on some training rides around Buckinghamshire, starting from Haddenham-Aylesbury-Princes Risborough area.

I am hoping to ride with some more experienced riders that would push my limits a bit as i've only just really gotten into cycling.
My fitness is probably "acceptable" compared to most of you, however I only normally cycle between 15 and 40 miles as that's the maximum I can manage without anybody else to keep me company and "spur me on"
Whilst i'm not specifically training for a anything this year (apart from the tour de vale charity ride next weekend) however I do hope to compete next year in a few races so a training partner/partner's would be good, and it would be nice to add a social element to my training.
cheers, Tom

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,237
    Get in touch with Amersham road cycling club... their rides start from Great Missenden on sundays 9 AM

it's a big club with different rides for different abilities and you'll find the super svelte 20 years old Cat. 2 as well as the wrinkly TOTBAMIL (too old to be a man in lycra)
    left the forum March 2023
  • pgmabley
    pgmabley Posts: 107
    I ride through the area fairly regularly commuting and other rides, happy to have company commuting especially in the mornings, passing through Haddenham at around 7am a couple of times a week.

When do you normally ride?

I'm not ultra quick or anything but do anything from 50 up to 200 miles in a week depending upon what/if events I'm training for.

I'm going to check out BMCC for club riding shortly too, this is the best way I believe of progression.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Hey there

Depending on how serious you are, Aylesbury's local club do a ride Saturday AM, various levels - I can never go as I'm doing things with SecretSam Jnrs :roll:

Or if you're really keen, you could join the kids from Spirit, but they are pretty full-on

And there's the CTC if you like Dawes bikes and spam sandwiches :lol:

Hope the Tour de Vale went well - didn't we have great weather!

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • defride
    defride Posts: 277
    Get in touch with Amersham road cycling club... their rides start from Great Missenden on sundays 9 AM

It's a big club with different rides for different abilities and you'll find the super svelte 20 years old Cat. 2 as well as the wrinkly TOTBAMIL (too old to be a man in lycra)

That's a fair description.

Six groups of different abilities on Sundays, fairly easy Sat ride and rides often organized during the week. Jump on one of the intro rides if you're unfamiliar with riding with a club, they'll see you right and you'll soon learn the best of the local routes.

Contact details here

http://www.amershamrcc.com/club-ride-descriptions
  • SteveDoe
    SteveDoe Posts: 26
    Hi Mincepies

I run a Thursday night training ride for Aylesbury Cycle Club. Generally 18mph ish for 35-40 miles if that's something you'd be interested in? I'm there this Thursday 11th, but away the week after. We depart from Jansel Square in Aylesbury at 6pm. If you'd prefer something a little more sedate at first there are rides going from the Aquavale Leisure Centre - again in Aylesbury - at 9am on Saturdays. The slow one is 15.5 mph ish for 50 ish miles, but this week there is a new riders ride which does about 20 miles, a coffee stop (normally in Haddenham) and then you could head back to Aylesbury or complete a furtehr 30 ish miles with the rest of the group.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Hi Mincepies

I run a Thursday night training ride for Aylesbury Cycle Club. Generally 18mph ish for 35-40 miles if that's something you'd be interested in? I'm there this Thursday 11th, but away the week after. We depart from Jansel Square in Aylesbury at 6pm. If you'd prefer something a little more sedate at first there are rides going from the Aquavale Leisure Centre - again in Aylesbury - at 9am on Saturdays. The slow one is 15.5 mph ish for 50 ish miles, but this week there is a new riders ride which does about 20 miles, a coffee stop (normally in Haddenham) and then you could head back to Aylesbury or complete a furtehr 30 ish miles with the rest of the group.

All of the above speeds being higher than my average speed!!!!!!!! :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • SteveDoe
    Hi Mincepies

All of the above speeds being higher than my average speed!!!!!!!! :lol:
    The new rider one would be fine, and you'd be able to manage a higher average speed in a group than solo.
  • mincepies
    Hey there

Depending on how serious you are, Aylesbury's local club do a ride Saturday AM, various levels - I can never go as I'm doing things with SecretSam Jnrs :roll:

Or if you're really keen, you could join the kids from Spirit, but they are pretty full-on

And there's the CTC if you like Dawes bikes and spam sandwiches :lol:

Hope the Tour de Vale went well - didn't we have great weather!

That sounds good , I'll sure check them out and see if I can make them, Spirit sure sounds fun but I reckon they're currently above by level - hopefully they're somthing to work up to.

Tour de vale went pretty well, I was disappointed to not beat my P.B ( 17 mins off) I completed it in 56 mins but that's understandable considering traffic, The weather was perfect for cycling and my tan line around my socks was shockingly bad a few days later.
  • mincepies

it's a big club with different rides for different abilities and you'll find the super svelte 20 years old Cat. 2 as well as the wrinkly TOTBAMIL (too old to be a man in lycra)

I'll defianetley take them into consideration, thanks for explaining the cycling " lingo" TOTBAMIL is now in my vocabulary.
  • mincepies
    Hi Mincepies

Sounds pretty good, is there any kind of restrictions to the club? or joining the ride? do I have to be a certain age?
    I don't know my average speed but I reckon that in a group I could push my self much more than if I was by myself (as you said in your response above)
    I'll hopefully PM you later.
  • mincepies

It's a big club with different rides for different abilities and you'll find the super svelte 20 years old Cat. 2 as well as the wrinkly TOTBAMIL (too old to be a man in lycra)

That's a fair description.

Six groups of different abilities on Sundays, fairly easy Sat ride and rides often organized during the week. Jump on one of the intro rides if you're unfamiliar with riding with a club, they'll see you right and you'll soon learn the best of the local routes.

Contact details here

http://www.amershamrcc.com/club-ride-descriptions

Thanks for the link, are you a member of the club?
    I'll check they're website out and see if I can make any of the rides.
  • mincepies
    I ride through the area fairly regularly commuting and other rides, happy to have company commuting especially in the mornings, passing through Haddenham at around 7am a couple of times a week.

When do you normally ride?

I'm not ultra quick or anything but do anything from 50 up to 200 miles in a week depending upon what/if events I'm training for.

I'm going to check out BMCC for club riding shortly too, this is the best way I believe of progression.

I've PM'd you
  • fnb1
    fnb1 Posts: 591
    you could also give Thame Cycling Club a try, http://www.thamecc.org/
    fay ce que voudres
  • SteveDoe
    Hi Mincepies

Sounds pretty good, is there any kind of restrictions to the club? or joining the ride? do I have to be a certain age?
    I don't know my average speed but I reckon that in a group I could push my self much more than if I was by myself (as you said in your response above)
    I'll hopefully PM you later.

Apologies for the delay - I've been away. No real restrictions at first, but you'll need to pay membership and get British Cycling membership if you carry on. How old are you, we've had a 15 y.o. and a 17 y.o. doing them as well as some comfortably in their 60s. This weeks ride is a shorter one (30 ish miles) as we're going to The Shoulder of Mutton for a beer and food afterwards. This is a one off though. I'm then away the two weeks after, but they should still run in my absence if the good weather continues ...