Newbie wheel/upgrade advice

Minton
Minton Posts: 4
edited June 2015 in MTB beginners
Hi,
I'm having problems with my rear wheel in that it keeps going out of true. I have a 2015 GT Karakoram Comp 29er. It has the OEM Alex MD19 rims. The only money I have splashed on it so far is an XC32 solo air fork.

I'm considering a cheapish but sturdy custom built rear wheel, but I'm not sure if this GT frame is worth blowing a couple hundred quid on?? Could it just be that my LBS is not very good at trueing wheels - is it normal for a wheel to be out of true after 4 miles on road?? (I weigh 90Kg, for info)

I quite like the bike if were not for the damn wobbly rear wheel. Any thoughts/advice appreciated.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'd say your LBS is the problem.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Minton
    Thanks. Thats the answer I wanted (saves me money) so I will take it back again tomorrow to give them one last chance and if it happens again, I'll try a different shop...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Or just learn to DIY, much faster and cheaper and it really isn't at all hard!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Minton
    DIY as in trueing a wheel yourself? I assumed it was a dark art? Will go google..
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No very simple, you just need a spoke key and something to measure with, you can do it with just a piece of stick (and I have done trailside), but a rule makes life easier, it will take some time (15-20mins a wheel) while you get used to how to do it, but once you are used to it it should take no more than about 5 minutes a wheel.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.