Understanding the numbers & measuring fork (Fox ctd)

r3hxn
r3hxn Posts: 127
edited June 2015 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

Really excited to own my first full suspension bike ( canyon Nerve 6.0 ), I have been doing my reading and trying to understand the rear fork but a few points confused me. If I follow the shock ID (cnnt) and go to Fox's help site for setting sag, the travel examples listed there on the chart start from

5.50 x 1.00 and go up to 8.50 x 2.50
Link is http://www.ridefox.com/help.php?m=bike&id=68

my first question is, what do these numbers actually represent ?

The only actual information I have about my shock is what i says on the spec's on Canyon's site, which is that it is 120mm travel. Being confused by those 2 values not matching up, I queried if "120mm travel" is correct and they confirmed that it is. Some forums also talk about measure eye to eye and this is 190mm, I also found some information on the canyon site that lists it as having a 50mm damper ( whatever that means).

So I guess my question is about understanding these figures, and when I set my sag - following all guidelines to measure from the shock to the O ring, this distance should be a percentage of which number?

thanks for reading and apologies for my noobish question.

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid
Scott Scale - Custom mtb - Work in progress

Comments

• Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Those numbers are eye to eye and stroke length but they quite often like listing them in inches. I expect your shock size is 190x50. You say you've measured eye to eye so 190 should be correct. For stroke you can release all the air from the shock and compress it fully, then inflate again so it returns to its fully uncompressed position. The o ring should now be in the fully compressed position and you can measure to it to get the stroke length.
  • r3hxn
    thanks for the reply,

something I am still confused about, those numbers in Inches - none of my own measurements when converted into in inches matches anything on the list, on Fox's site. Is this because they are just guideline examples rather than specific models or am I missing something still?

are we saying that taking the first example
    8.50 x 2.50

the 8.5" is eye to eye length
    and 2.5" is the Stroke, measured in the manner you advised?

if that is correct, what is the 120mm travel that it is specced as? is this still the number I should be calculating the 15-25% sag against?

EDIT: Actually I take that back the 7.50 x 2.00 works out as approx 190mm x 50mm, I assuming when I measure the stroke it will be about 50mm. ( still confused about the 120mm figure though).

thanks again.

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Measure your sag against the stroke length. The travel is all down to the suspension design, so the same size shock on 2 different bikes could give a different amount of travel due to how that particular bikes suspension works.
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    The 120mm comes from various (rather complicated) angles and levers - but, basically, through the rocker that 50mm of travel at the shock translates into 120mm of movement at the back wheel. :)
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For example I have 2 different mounting positions on my frame, in one position the stock shock gives 100mm of rear travel, in the other 120mm.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • r3hxn
    cheers all, I think I understand now

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid