11 speed interchangeability?

Giraffoto
Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
edited June 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Does anyone know if the cog spacing and overall width of the new XT and XTR 11-speed cassettes is the same as the 5800/6800 road cassettes? Since the XT/XTR will fit on a 10s freehub, I guess that means that the road version is wider at the splines than the MTB version; but does that necessarily mean that the spacing and width at the cogs is any different?
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
XM-057 rigid 29er

Comments

• Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I doubt they are far off as the new m8000 chain is also the ultegra 6800 chain.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It's close enough to be interchangeable. The road ones are dished to the outside, but they are the same overall width.
  • Cheshire Cat
    Cheshire Cat Posts: 309
    Not 100% sure what your question is, but Shimano 11 speed road cassettes do not fit on an 11 speed mtn free-hubs, found this as I tried it with a Crossmax 29'er rear wheel for my cross bike. The free-hub on the Mavic is shorter, suspect it will be the same for any mth bike free-hub...this was on a 2015 wheel.
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    His question seems pretty obvious. It's the first sentence...

But yes, as you've found you can't fit a road cassette on MTB free hub, although you can do the reverse.
  • Rightarmbad
    Rightarmbad Posts: 216
    Spacing and chain is identical.
    The reason that MTB do not need a freehub body as wide as the new road, is that the much larger MTB 1st gear is dished so it can sit closer to the spokes due to the extra clearance as the spokes angle away.
    It effectively hangs in space inside of the inner freehub body flange.
    If you want to run 36 tooth gearing on your road bike, yes you can use your old 10 speed wheels to run 11 speed.