less oil in a fox 32 float 100mm

jubilatu
jubilatu Posts: 11
edited June 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
this evening i repaired my focus super bud 2013 after some mud-racing broke my derailleur and stole a swingarm's bolt (I pedalled this way 30km).
I realised that I bought the medium cage xt instead of long cage (stupidity one) and that I put only 20cc of oil in my fork legs instead of 30cc (stupidity two). taking into account that I intend to service it again after ~20 hours of cycling, could the 10cc (50% of recommended oil volume) difference damage something ? I read about fox forks exiting the factory without oil and tomorrow i'll have a busy day anyway... but the fork is a lot of money for me I do not want to risk....
any help/idea will be appreciated

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Theres a reason why Fox specify 30cc. It's the oil which lubricates the bushes, if they run dry that will kill the bushes and stanchions.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    10cc is 33% of 30cc by the way, not 50%!

Fox Bushes/stanchions are not known as being the most robust, so for me it would be very silly to risk them by not doing the job properly.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.